Streaming problem: video, but no wma2 audio

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jrleighton
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Streaming problem: video, but no wma2 audio

Postby jrleighton » 15 Jun 2006 12:29

Using VLC on win32, I can play a streamed windows media file (such as http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news_w ... 6x9_nb.asx ) in windows media player, and I can play it in VLC.

What I cannot do, however - and what I am trying to do - is to take the stream and then stream it out again correctly.

Using a second instance of VLC on the same machine, and picking up the resultant HTTP stream from the first VLC instance, I get the video fine. But no audio. I have tried this with a number of streams.

Always there is either one of two errors - and always to do with the audio codec wma2.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction please ?

Thanks.

More data:

Streaming: :sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:1234}}

Current error log is (a snippet only)

ts error: cannot peek
main error: cannot add this stream
main error: cannot create packetizer output (wma2)

jrleighton
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

how to fix this !

Postby jrleighton » 15 Jun 2006 12:52

Yes, I wrote the original post above. Always the way, isn't it - you spend hours getting fustrated, searching in forums and elsewhere. Then you post into the forum, and then after 5 mins more fiddling, you fix it.

Here's what I did:-

It seems that VLC uses Microsofts direct show codecs for WMV/WMA streaming - so perhaps this is the reason for this issue.

Instead of using RTP or HTTP to stream, simply stream in MMSH.

Then using mmsh://localhost:1234 in another VLC instance - you get the audio and the video.

Hope this helps any others out there.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”