Video being stretched...

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Video being stretched...

Postby Fuxie - DK » 10 Jun 2006 16:59

Hi,

Ever since I changed my monitor, I have encountered this problem...

Does anyone know why this happens?? And better, how to fix it..

In this example, I've used an AVI I'm downloading using eMule Plus.

But wether I check AVIs (DivX 3.11, 4, 5 or XviD) or MPGs, complete or partially downloaded, I get the same result..

When I had my old monitor, there was no problem..
But since I'm able to capture the image, using the PrtScr key on my keyboard, I have a feeling that my monitor have nothing to do with it..

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Jun 2006 18:39

Perhaps your video card is not recognizing your new monitor correctly. This is possible if the setings within Windows are not set to plug & play for the monitor.

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 10 Jun 2006 23:09

Actually, THIS monitor is being detected 100% correct..

My old monitor was detected as "Universal Plug and Play monitor", but this is identified as "HP D2840 Ergo 1280 17-Inch Display"... My monitor has the text "Hewlett Packard" in the top and "Ergo 1280" in the bottom, so identification seems to be 100% correct.

Postby Guest » 10 Jun 2006 23:33

Have you tried resetting VLC settings?
http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/index.html#id278410

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Jun 2006 04:21

There are no newer specifications than P&P. While your monitor may be identifying it self your video card may not know it. It would most certainly be worth checking the settings. Of coarse you are 100% positive that this is correct or are you? Have you checked this? :lol:

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 11 Jun 2006 09:54

Have you tried resetting VLC settings?
http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/index.html#id278410
Yes.. Have done that.. Didn't help..

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 11 Jun 2006 09:55

There are no newer specifications than P&P. While your monitor may be identifying it self your video card may not know it. It would most certainly be worth checking the settings. Of coarse you are 100% positive that this is correct or are you? Have you checked this? :lol:
Which settings?

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 11 Jun 2006 19:20

Even more strange...

I just noticed, when I play DVDr files (either IFO+BUP+VOB or DVD-images such as .ISO or .NRG) the picture stays inside the fram like it's supposed to... :shock:

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Jun 2006 19:55

I will say you have an interesting and rather colorful problem. Of coarse depending on if we are talking about, the red squiggly stuff in the background, the aspect ratio or the video not staying in side the player frame?

Is the aspect ratio normal when you go to full screen?

Have you tried the non embedded mode of VLC?

Have you tried to reset your video card (color, OpenGL, Direct 3D and overlay)?

Try shutting off the video acceleration inside VLC. Settings, Preferences, Video, untick the "Overlay video output" box and save. Now close VLC and restart. Then try to call a file, within VLC.

As a last resort, try opening VLC Settings, Preferences, Video, Output Modules and using the pull down to select "Windows GDI video output". Then save, restart VLC and try to call a file.

Most of these things are tests to try to expose your problem. So it is suggested to put things back the way it was if it had no change to your problem. Also always call a file into VLC to rule out a possible Windows interface problem.

Considering you are finding that some file types do not mess things up, I do suppose that somehow the file(s) are corrupt. Anything is possible in peer to peer networks. But when you say that DVDs are correct, I can't hep but wonder. :lol:

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 11 Jun 2006 22:25

I will say you have an interesting and rather colorful problem. Of coarse depending on if we are talking about, the red squiggly stuff in the background, the aspect ratio or the video not staying in side the player frame?
The red stuff is simply my way of erasing filenames when posting a picture here.. No need to call upon the attention of authorities, eh? :P
Is the aspect ratio normal when you go to full screen?
Yup.
Have you tried the non embedded mode of VLC?
(Non) embedded mode?? What's that?
Have you tried to reset your video card (color, OpenGL, Direct 3D and overlay)?
How?
Try shutting off the video acceleration inside VLC. Settings, Preferences, Video, untick the "Overlay video output" box and save. Now close VLC and restart. Then try to call a file, within VLC.
Didn't help :(
As a last resort, try opening VLC Settings, Preferences, Video, Output Modules and using the pull down to select "Windows GDI video output". Then save, restart VLC and try to call a file.
Under "Output Modules" I only have "Image File", "OpenGL" and "DirectX"..
Most of these things are tests to try to expose your problem. So it is suggested to put things back the way it was if it had no change to your problem. Also always call a file into VLC to rule out a possible Windows interface problem.
Have tried both calling complete/partial files from eMule Plus and complete files from Windoes Explorer and by opening a file from inside VLC... Same result.. EXCEPT for DVD-files..
Considering you are finding that some file types do not mess things up, I do suppose that somehow the file(s) are corrupt. Anything is possible in peer to peer networks. But when you say that DVDs are correct, I can't hep but wonder. :lol:
They are not corrupt.. I have played the before, and since they are all shared in eMule Plus, if the file was changed, it would rehash the file, and thus I would nitice.. Also, the files play perfectly on my KiSS DP-500 DVD player..

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 11 Jun 2006 22:27

Under "Output Modules" I only have "Image File", "OpenGL" and "DirectX"..
Ups... Even I enabled "Advanced" a pulldown menu appeared, and I could select "Windows GDI".. That solved the problem.. :) :wink:

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Jun 2006 22:51

The advanced and simple options are under discussion for changes in a future release. This is one of the items being discussed. Sorry! :oops:

The results indicate that your video card's drivers need updating. It is also possible that DirectX needs updating as Microsoft puts out runtime updates every few months but the version will not change from 9c.

ehime

Postby ehime » 12 Jun 2006 08:38

add this line to your shortcut and see if it works

Code: Select all

--no-embed

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 12 Jun 2006 23:08

The results indicate that your video card's drivers need updating.
Undoubtly... My driver is from 2002.. :(

The problem is that I can't find a driver for Win2003 which is newer than this..

I've even tried DriversHQ.com but the driver it suggests only works for Win2k and WinXP..

The only drivers for my VideoCard I can find for Win2003 is for the 64-bit version, which I don't have, so no new drivers for me :(

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 12 Jun 2006 23:09

add this line to your shortcut and see if it works

Code: Select all

--no-embed
Thanks for your suggestion... I'll keep that in mind, but right now, it's working again, so "If it's not broken, don't fix it".. :p

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 13 Jun 2006 01:20

Please keep in mind, with DirectX shut down puts all the weight on your CPU and some Higher Resolution files may not play because of this.

VLC will still try to play the file, but the CPU will go to 100% and it will appear that the machine has locked up. Just press stop and go have a cup of tea. Do not close the player or you will need to reboot the machine and you can go have lunch. :lol:

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 17 Jun 2006 11:38

That I have never experienced...

However, after switching to Windows GDI, a new problem has occured:

When playing DVD-images, it's not possible to use the menus using the mouse.
When I click on a menu-item, VLC switches between window and full screen. Menus are generally (but now always) usable with the cursor keys on keyboard..

This has never happened before...

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 24 Jun 2006 16:58

No ideas, anyone??

Postby Guest » 26 Jun 2006 02:15

I have had this happen! Erase your Preferences directory and also the dvdcss directory in Application Data. A reboot is also suggested.

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 28 Jun 2006 19:15

I've switched to DirectX, and the problem went away.. But DirectX is MUCH MUCH slower than GDI :(

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2006 19:59

Ya! Microsoft has a tendency to do this to all of us! Just buy faster equipment and you won't notice the problem. :P

Fuxie - DK
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Fuxie - DK » 02 Jul 2006 16:24

Ya! Microsoft has a tendency to do this to all of us! Just buy faster equipment and you won't notice the problem. :P
Well.. It shouldn't be nessesary, since the problem just suddenly arose, and the I had to switch to another setting..

Postby Guest » 03 Jul 2006 11:28

You are correct there are no features using this interface. It was intended as a test to see where the real problems are and not as a solution in of itself. This vid output by passes DirectX. There is no video acceleration there is no video card decoder help. It puts all of the weight of decoding video on the CPU. It is suggested to resolve the real problem which is generally your Video card's drivers and seldom, but occasionally DirectX.

As far as being slower it isn't. Generally using DirectX is faster than using the GUI interface because of the tasks that are handed off to your Video card. For example: a commercial DVD running in the GUI will take 25 to 50% CPU usage (depending on your processor) while running in DirectX the CPU will be 0 or the residual of any background process. If you feel that DirectX is slower, perhaps it's time to consider a new video card.

Either way VLC is not the problem. However, it is highly dependent on your systems resources.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”