So Confused !!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
startrek133
New Cone
New Cone

So Confused !!

Postby startrek133 » 18 May 2006 19:30

Hay guys i need some help ..

i hear that VLC is a great program to stream video and stuff like that .. but i am so lost and confused that i dont know what i am doing ..

i have tryed looking at the doc. on the website and have gone though the walk thoughs and still nothing works ..

so does anyone have a simple way for me to stream video from my computer at home to work ??

i need easy steps .. please ..

thanks

Dunto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dunto » 18 May 2006 19:50

We need more info, like:

What program do you want to use at work?
What protocols can you access? (HTTP, MMS, etc.)
Do you want VoD?
What OS do you have at home and at work (I assume Windows)?
Anything else you think we may need.

startrek133
New Cone
New Cone

So Confused !!

Postby startrek133 » 18 May 2006 19:55

well i am trying to use VLC to stream the file from my computer ..

witch is on a router and on road runner .. to my computer witch has VLC on it ..

so what i did is the wizard and picked the file i wanna stream and then into my ipaddress and then it seem to work ..

at work i open up VLC and hit open network stream and type my ipaddress and nothing happens ..

so not sure what i am doing wrong ..

Dunto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dunto » 18 May 2006 20:01

You need to open the ports on your home router to allow your stream to pass (check your documentation or the manufacturer's website for instructions), and you need to set the TTL on the server machine to the number of routers you need to cross, plus a couple more.

Still need:
What protocols can you access or want to use? (HTTP, MMS, etc.)
Do you want VoD?

BTW, the way you are doing it now starts the stream immediately and it probably finishes playing before you get to work.

startrek133
New Cone
New Cone

So Confused !!

Postby startrek133 » 18 May 2006 20:15

i did set a port on my router for streaming ..

and i though that once it started streaming that at work i would just type in my ipaddress and the port number and it would pop up ..

i dont know what VOD is .. so not sure there ..

and not sure about the procols either ..

just trying to stream from videos files that are like 30 mins long .. movies, download shows .. stuff like that ..

so what is step one ?

Dunto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dunto » 18 May 2006 20:39

VLC stops streaming at the end of the file (or playlist, if set up correctly), so by the time you get to work, the movie is over and the stream stops.

VoD solves this problem. VoD is Video on Demand, and the way it works is as follows (roughly):

1. VoD objects are set up through telnet or http interface.
2. Client machine accesses them like a stream (with some add'l stuff).
3. VLC starts playback of file used as VoD object and streams it to client.

Basically, VoD is like having a stream that doesn't start until you try to open it.

As for protocols, I would suggest UDP, as most corporate firewalls don't have a problem with this, but they do with HTTP.

To learn how to set up VoD objects, see the Streaming How-to.

Also, you need to use your external IP address, not your internal network one. To get this, go to http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/ or someplace similar from your home machine. Take this IP address to work and ping it using the command prompt (Start > Run > "cmd" > "ping ip_address"). If it says "Destination host unreachable", you may be stuck unless you have a pal in IT who can allow that traffic through for you. To find out what TTL setting you need, run "tracert ip_address" in the command prompt. It will list all the routers it crossed. Take that number of routers, add 2 or 3 (to be sure), and set that as your TTL at home.

startrek133
New Cone
New Cone

So Confused !!

Postby startrek133 » 18 May 2006 21:05

well i am RD into my home computer right now trying to set it up there .. and the trying to play it on my computer here at work ..

and my friend is helping and seems to be working but we cant see anything ..

so now what should i try to do ..

step 1 ..

donnapaul
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby donnapaul » 30 Jun 2006 15:46

Did you ever resolve this?
I'm trying to do the same thing....
Thanks.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”