MINIMIZE TO TRAY !!!!!!

Feature requests for VLC.
VLC4Life

MINIMIZE TO TRAY !!!!!!

Postby VLC4Life » 07 May 2006 02:11

Come on, get a minimize to tray or something cool looking thing 8)

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 07 May 2006 03:02

like windows media player ?
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

pieroxy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pieroxy » 07 May 2006 10:15

I don't think WMP can get minimized to tray. WMP can get minimized to the taskbar (normal), and its button on the task bar becomes a mini remote control (play pause ffw, etc). I don't find it very useful, but that just might be because I don't like WMP ;). The idea is that the button is wasted real estate and some controls can fit there.

The tray icons are on the bottom right of the screen (if your task bar is set at the bottom of the screen) next to the clock. Winamp can get minimized there, along with a bunch of other programs. The idea is that it will consume less GUI real estate when minimized there: Just an icon as opposed to a full button in tha taskbar.

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 07 May 2006 16:48

It's already available

See the systray option in the wxwidgets preferences
Xtophe

e126

Postby e126 » 10 May 2006 21:58

yes, you are right, it works, but only with the wxWidgets interface. Unfortunately, it does not seem to work with the skinnable interface :(

Maybe it is possible to extend the tray system to this interface.

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 11 May 2006 08:16

It is planned, and will be done for VLC 0.8.6 (at least on Windows).

thenikola
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thenikola » 11 May 2006 22:39

You can do this to any program with this little program called Tray It! You just have it run at startup and anything can be minimized to tray by ctrl clicking the minimize button.

http://www.teamcti.com/trayit/trayit.htm

I know it's not exactly what your looking for, but it's a good work arround.

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 13 May 2006 19:57

I have added in the development version, for Windows. You can try it with tomorrow's nightly build.

ljhead

Postby ljhead » 15 May 2006 22:05

I have added in the development version, for Windows. You can try it with tomorrow's nightly build.
I'm playing with the nightly from the 14th and found a bit of oddness regarding the way you chose to implement the systray functionality. If I have it set to use only system tray and no taskbar and then minimize it to the tray it exhibits a few weird symptoms. Sometimes when I dbl click on the systray icon I get a titlebar only...I must maximize and restore the window to get any controls over the window. Secondly, if I have the window open and bring a window in front of it I have no indication that the window is open..so I then Dbl click on the systray icon...this does nothing visually...but what it actually does is minimizes the hidden window. I then need to dbl click again to bring the window to the front. I think it would be easier if any clicking of the systray icon brought the window to the foreground...similar to the way that Winamp implemented this feature.

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 16 May 2006 10:37

The implemented behaviour is the following one:
- single click on the icon: raise the skin (i.e. place the skin windows above all the other windows). This has no effect when the skin is minimized
- double click on the icon: restore the skin (i.e. "un-minimize" it). This has no effect if the skin is not minimized (except raising it)
- right-click: open the popup menu

This behaviour can easily be changed if needed.

For me, the nightly build you indicate works fine, on Win2K. Do you see a different behaviour than the one described above? If so, what version of Windows do you use?

ljhead

Postby ljhead » 16 May 2006 19:53

looks like I was using the default interface...which apparently doesn't behave the same as the skinned interface.

mbgb14

Postby mbgb14 » 23 May 2006 22:37

Has it been implemented yet?
I want something just like MSN - where you can hit the X and it goes to the tray. Minimize still goes to the taskbar.

victoryemulator

Postby victoryemulator » 02 Jun 2006 00:33

Guyz Watever you do please do not remove the wxwidgets interface entirely , do maintain an OS native interface

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 02 Jun 2006 21:36

Guyz Watever you do please do not remove the wxwidgets interface entirely , do maintain an OS native interface
Too late ! we're removing wx and writing a new default interface using QT4 :D
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 May 2007 22:38

Too late ! we're removing wx and writing a new default interface using QT4 :D
And it has the systray icon.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”