0.85 and the controller window

macOS specific usage questions
zev

0.85 and the controller window

Postby zev » 21 Apr 2006 18:45

So now that there are controls built into the player window how do we get the seperate controller window to stop popping up after every app start?

Dominic

Postby Dominic » 02 May 2006 20:12

I'm having this problem also. No matter what I do, including tweaking the .plist file to display the window outside the boundary of the screen (it just comes back), the Controller window pops up every time the app is launched. It would be nice to have an option to disable this window on startup, because the controls are now included in the video window itself. Any ideas?

Postby Guest » 07 May 2006 21:56

There shouldn't be a separate controller window in the first place. No other media player has this, and it makes no sense at all. It just makes the interface clumsier to use.

Please, please, please, just kill that controller window. Put a decent set of controls in the player window, and leave it like that. This is how the Quicktime player does it, how Mplayer does it, and how XinePlayer does it. It's one of the main reasons I don't use VLC, because it's just too annoying.

(The other being the horrible subtitle rendering, and the completely unusuable preferences).

Trout

Postby Trout » 10 May 2006 02:14

I usually watch a movie fullscreen, and use the controller moved onto my second monitor all the time. QuickTime, which you mentioned, does have a separate controller when fullscreen only. When I'm going windowed, I like having the controller separate, as it gives me more flexibility. Perhaps the ability to not have the controller pop up automatically, rather than removing it entirely is a better option, as that seems to be the main source of contention here...

Postby Guest » 10 May 2006 06:52

Allow us to get rid of the controller by an option. I think the controller vs. video window is definitely the worst part of VLC's interface.

Postby Guest » 10 May 2006 13:30

Am I alone? I liked the "Full screen" button on the Controller vindow, and it disappeared on ver. 0.8.5. Will it reappear on a forthcoming version?

Dominic

Postby Dominic » 11 May 2006 03:02

I found a super hack around this (hopefully with no side effects). Open the application package, find the appropriate MainMenu.nib, open it in Interface Builder, and in the Inspector window, deselect 'Visible at launch time'. Save, close, and relaunch VLC. Solved!

guruff
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby guruff » 11 May 2006 14:09

Very Nice :) It shoudn't have any side effects.

By the way, the playback in 0.8.5 is bloody smooth, i used to use Quartz for video output, it was faster. I have checked out OpenGL in 0.8.5 and i was amazed - it is smoooooth :)

Neven

Postby Neven » 12 May 2006 00:40

Anyone got a solution for those of us without Interface Builder?

Postby Guest » 12 May 2006 01:41

Maybe someone with Interface Builder can make the modification and post the modified application somewhere for us to download.

Postby Guest » 12 May 2006 01:49

One problem. For some inexplicable reason they moved all the standard controls to the video window except for the volume slider. So without a way to open the controller window we won't be able to adjust the volume. You'll still be able to raise and lower the OS's volume but that's not the same thing.

guruff
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby guruff » 12 May 2006 02:21

Guest - it is not like you are disabling it, you are just hiding controller at the beginning. You can either go Window -> Controller, or press Apple Shift C, dada.

Link to modified MainMenu.nib

... unzip it :P
Last edited by guruff on 20 May 2006 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » 12 May 2006 03:47

You da man guruff!

herk

Postby herk » 19 May 2006 16:13

the link is dead :(

simon
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby simon » 19 May 2006 16:32

guruff
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby guruff » 19 May 2006 19:00

Sorry i have killed the link after a week, :)

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”