VLC Too Slow Over Ethernet

macOS specific usage questions
DennyHayes
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Too Slow Over Ethernet

Postby DennyHayes » 25 Apr 2006 08:36

My setup is a 2GH 2.6TB Linux server, with a half dozen Macs, and about the same number of Win boxes connected to it. The server is running a 1G ethernet connection, and about half of the computers also have a 1G connection. The server hosts many .avi movies which I am trying to play on the computers connected to it, using VLC. They do play, but there is a split second pause about every minute, which is a little annoying. Since my computers are various speeds, I was thinking maybe the speed of the computer or the ethernet connection speed might be the problem, but since the pause is the same of every computer, I am thinking that it must have something to do with either the server or VLC. If I transfer the movie to the computer that it is played on, or if I burn a DVD and put it in the computer, it plays fine. So it must have something to do with the Ethernet connection. Since I have seen messages here where users are trying to use VLC with a PTP WAN connection, I am would like to ask if anyone has any idea why I am getting these pauses?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”