Crash randomly with mkv and 0.8.4 Final , 0.8.4a , 0.8.5t2

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
maxxxp
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Crash randomly with mkv and 0.8.4 Final , 0.8.4a , 0.8.5t2

Postby maxxxp » 03 Dec 2005 01:18

I've a portable with:
WinXp sp2 with the latest updates , Geforce4 420 go with 16 Mb Ram-video , Athlon Xp mobile 2000+ , 512 mb ram , VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
Version of VLC : VLC 0.8.4 Final
Situation: The crash always occurs randomly during the playback of file , after 10 seconds like after 10 minutes but never the same point , i watch the video at fullscreen and with my default configuration (look the vlcrc), vlc crash but not quit , the video and audio still playback but the subtitle stops and there is the message of winxp to send the information to microsoft of error , obviously after it closed.
I've already tried to reinstall vlc and to delete into "documents and settings" the file vlcrc .
I was playing some .mkv files , all with:
Xvid video - 1 audio mp3 - 1 subtitle ssa
I attach my vlcrc and the error report of winxp
ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming/cra ... _vlcrc.zip
Sorry for bad english
Last edited by maxxxp on 19 Apr 2006 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

maxxxp
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby maxxxp » 08 Dec 2005 10:16

up...

maxxxp
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby maxxxp » 19 Apr 2006 22:45

Up
This problem isn't solved , i've tested 0.8.4a and 0.8.5 test2 also
With others players and codecs the mkv works fine.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 19 Apr 2006 23:13

Does the problem occur if you don't load external subs?

maxxxp
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby maxxxp » 20 Apr 2006 00:08

I've tried without subs and the .mkv it's ok.

Postby Guest » 20 Apr 2006 17:09

Hi
I got the same problems like maxxxp.
The Players crashes while playing MKV with subtitles. But its not randomly, its mostly about the same position +/- 30sec. I'am not sure if it is a VLC fault. Others players like Mediaplayer or BSPlayer not even load the MKV ... instead using 99% CPU power to do nothing but freezing the system.

Played without subtitles those files are fine.
But at the moment I only noticed that kind of bahavouir with my Elfenlied (Anime) files. All others MKV with subtitles are ok.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 20 Apr 2006 20:05

9 chances out of 10 the problem is the external subtitle file. If the sub was not specifically made for the video clip it will drift in time causing everything to resync. This ends up with jerky video, pops in audio or files that just stop playing. Also some subs in an attempt to work or by accident, lack the FPS (Frames Per Sec) spec they should have, allowing them to stay in sync. While VLC can support external subs in a wide variety of formats there is no way to provide an means to account for poorly made files or files that weren't made for the video clip.

The only true way to have subs work on a constant basis is to have them muxed into the container, of which Matroska allows.

See: Doom9 forum, Matroska web site and or VideoHelp.com for more information, tips and tricks and or programs to do this. If you search ReClock on the web it is a great referance for the "Why?" in Digital Video.
Last edited by DJ on 20 Apr 2006 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

Final

Postby Final » 20 Apr 2006 21:48

And how i can do this?
I also having this problem with elfenlied, subtitles in german... so understand misstakes in my english :)

maxxxp
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby maxxxp » 20 Apr 2006 22:31

But i haven't external files , my sub is contained in an only .mkv.
I attach 2 subs that i have demuxed from .mkv with virtualdubmod:
http://maxpesola.interfree.it/testsub/subs.zip

Postby Guest » 20 Apr 2006 22:34

Me, too.
The subtitles are inside the container. No external subfile.
The Elfenlied-MKV Contains three streams for subs. Two german (SRT & ASS) and an englisch one (SRT I belive).

Teetrinker
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Teetrinker » 20 Apr 2006 22:48

Try if it help to remux the mkv file with mkvmerge(mmg).
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

maxxxp
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby maxxxp » 20 Apr 2006 22:59

Thanks , i'll try mkvmerge to test.
Before i link the log and report of mkv:
http://maxpesola.interfree.it/testsub/MatroskaDiag.zip

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 20 Apr 2006 23:29

Sorry! From everything described here I assumed it was an external sub file. This does not rule out the possibility of bad or poor encoding of the file it self.

This is out of your own log:

Track 3 : Subtitles
- Codec : UTF-8 Plain Text (S_TEXT/UTF8)
- Possible filter : VSFilter/DVobSub
- Installed : yes, in C:\Programmi\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\VSFilter.dll (1.0.1.3)
- Link : http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli
- Language : Undetermined (und)

I would try loading this file externally and see if it works.

Bear in mind that the subtitles option will not show up when you right click on the video (when playing the video) if the sub is not recognized in the mux or loaded as in the case of external subs. More often than not when the language is undetermined, the language will need to be selected no mater what options are set in preferences.

Another option is, considering you have got all this stuff installed on your machine, have you tried playing the file with MPC?

Note: The Haali multi media splitter does create conflicts with VLC's transcode functions. So that many file types made with VLC will crash Explorer.

Postby Guest » 21 Apr 2006 20:14

Yes. I suppose the Haali Splitter is the bad guy.
I traced the windows machine error trough the explorer.exe to Haali. But I don't understand whats going wrong. *sigh*... have to trace more...

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Apr 2006 21:21

Yes. I suppose the Haali Splitter is the bad guy.
I traced the windows machine error trough the explorer.exe to Haali. But I don't understand whats going wrong. *sigh*... have to trace more...
I just about went nuts with this one! It seems that the problem revolves around the way he is handling MP4 and OGG. Originally I liked his concept of being able to offer more logical functions through the use of a source filter. I have found there is no way to get back to the original Microsoft method even though it appears to work after the uninstall of the Haali splitter, without reinstalling Windows. So I pulled the latest version of the Haali splitter and reinstalled it using the options for AVI and Matroska and unchecking the boxes for OGG and MP4. Then I downloaded Tobias's original OGG package and installed it. This left me with some OGM Vorbis combinations that wouldn't play (mainly a few amine clips) Adding CoreVorbis resolved this issue. Then I downloaded Gaybest's MP4 front end and installed it along with CoreAVC for H.264. Since then I have experienced no further problems.

Note: If you are using Nero 7 you will need to reinstall it as its front end is a MP4 source splitter. Also, if you are using 3ivx you will need to reinstall it as the uninstall of the Haali system does not revert. The Gabest filter is not necessary for Nero 7 and will not interfere with 3ivx. (CoreAVC is redundent if you are using Nero)

If I had to do it again I wouldn't! I would avoid the Haali system.

Re: Crash randomly with mkv and 0.8.4 Final , 0.8.4a , 0.8.5

Postby Guest » 02 May 2006 11:22

I've a portable with:
WinXp sp2 with the latest updates , Geforce4 420 go with 16 Mb Ram-video , Athlon Xp mobile 2000+ , 512 mb ram , VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
Version of VLC : VLC 0.8.4 Final
Situation: The crash always occurs randomly during the playback of file , after 10 seconds like after 10 minutes but never the same point , i watch the video at fullscreen and with my default configuration (look the vlcrc), vlc crash but not quit , the video and audio still playback but the subtitle stops and there is the message of winxp to send the information to microsoft of error , obviously after it closed.
I've already tried to reinstall vlc and to delete into "documents and settings" the file vlcrc .
I was playing some .mkv files , all with:
Xvid video - 1 audio mp3 - 1 subtitle ssa
I attach my vlcrc and the error report of winxp
ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming/cra ... _vlcrc.zip
Sorry for bad english

Postby Guest » 02 May 2006 19:11

Try opening the bios on your machine and see if the memory size can be increased to 32 meg. In most cases it can be. If it can not I would question the manufacture of the machine and try to update the bios.

Postby Guest » 02 May 2006 21:06

Same problem here, VLC crashes randomly when playing files containing several integrated subs. I can rarerly watch a 30min anime episode without a crash if it contains several subs, i.e. you have to chose a sub manually by right click.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”