--rc-show-pos : Improvement suggestion

Feature requests for VLC.
pieroxy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

--rc-show-pos : Improvement suggestion

Postby pieroxy » 20 Apr 2006 14:20

Hi,

I am trying to write a program that will control VLC through the RC interface. One problem I am having is that I can't get a precise position from the stream currently playing.

The --rc-show-pos option provides one with a rather vague "pos: 30%". And it is not clear when this info is displayed (seems to be at every command entered with 0.8.5-test2).

I have two suggestions to try to remedy this problem:
1. Can the format be changed or enhanced as to show the number of seconds elapsed since the beginning of the stream?
"pos: 326s" or "pos: 30%, 326s" for examples...

2. Can a new command be added that would return this info instead of relying on an external event to occur...
So one would type 'position' and will be served with : "pos: 326s" for example

Any option would work for me, with a preference for #2. Does this sound like a reasonnable thing to implement?

robc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby robc » 20 Apr 2006 14:32

I would certainly like to see option two implemented, particularly if the position timestamp was provided in NPT or SMPTE format.

pieroxy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pieroxy » 04 May 2006 17:47

Ok, it turns out this feature is already implemented (by zorglub on 09/01/04 22:02:17). It is called "get_time" and is not documented.

In the same commit, other feats were implemented: "is_playing", "get_title", "get_time" and "get_length"

Question to the devs: How can one add the following lines to rc.c around the line 900, along with the other help msgs:

Code: Select all

msg_rc(_("| get_time . . seconds elapsed since the beginning")); msg_rc(_("| of the current stream")); msg_rc(_("| is_playing . . 1 if a stream plays, 0 otherwise")); msg_rc(_("| get_title . . . the title of the current stream")); msg_rc(_("| get_length . . the length of the current stream")); msg_rc(_("| (in seconds)"));
0.8.4 is impacted by this (as well as any further version of course). Maybe in 0.8.5?

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 04 May 2006 23:26

Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Hdn

Postby Hdn » 10 May 2006 20:53

Ok, it turns out this feature is already implemented (by zorglub on 09/01/04 22:02:17). It is called "get_time" and is not documented.

In the same commit, other feats were implemented: "is_playing", "get_title", "get_time" and "get_length"

Question to the devs: How can one add the following lines to rc.c around the line 900, along with the other help msgs:

Code: Select all

msg_rc(_("| get_time . . seconds elapsed since the beginning")); msg_rc(_("| of the current stream")); msg_rc(_("| is_playing . . 1 if a stream plays, 0 otherwise")); msg_rc(_("| get_title . . . the title of the current stream")); msg_rc(_("| get_length . . the length of the current stream")); msg_rc(_("| (in seconds)"));
0.8.4 is impacted by this (as well as any further version of course). Maybe in 0.8.5?

It make more sense for a command response with current comand following by a value instead of just a value

cmd response

get_title get_title= test.mp3
get_time get_time= xx
get_length get_length=xxx
is_playing is_playing =1

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”