Version beyond 0.81 = BSOD

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
FlipIt

Version beyond 0.81 = BSOD

Postby FlipIt » 07 Apr 2006 07:54

If I use any version newer than 0.81, my computer will eventually give me a BSOD after playing a video for a while. This seems to apply to any video format. The BSOD says something similar to page_not_fault.

Using Windows XP SP2, AMD Duron, 512 MB PC133 RAM.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 07 Apr 2006 14:05

Did you try upgrading your video drivers and DirectX installation already ?
Don't use PMs for support questions.

FlipIt

Postby FlipIt » 09 Apr 2006 02:55

Yes

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Apr 2006 03:37

What's the speed of the processor?

When you updated to SP2 are all of the drivers (audio & Video) dated later than Oct 04?

When you say that your DirectX is current we assume 9c, but does this include the runtime updates (Feb 06 is current)?

What file types are you having problems with?
Please state container and format for audio and video.

FlipIt

Postby FlipIt » 12 Apr 2006 08:11

I did not know about the DirectX update. I installed it, and I have had no crashes so far with 0.8.4a. I guess all that's left to do is knock on wood.

Thank you!

FlipIt

Postby FlipIt » 12 Apr 2006 09:47

Well, I was watching an XviD and my computer rebooted out of nowhere, so the problem remains.

CPU - 800Mhz

My sound card's drivers are dated from 2002. There are no newer drivers, this is an old Sound Blaster 128. Is that it?

This also happens on MPEG2 (VOB) files. My guess is it happens on any file.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 13 Apr 2006 07:36

You could try Microsoft's automatic update website under Hardware. You need to choose Custom instead of Express in order to see it.

I would also be looking at Video drivers. Considering VLC does not reboot your machine there is obviously some kind of instability or compatibility issue the very easily be drivers.

FlipIt

Postby FlipIt » 14 Apr 2006 08:14

Actually, my last test with 0.8.4a caused a reboot.

Humperdinck
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

BSOD only in fullscreen?

Postby Humperdinck » 14 Apr 2006 20:04

The BSODs/crashes described in this thread are too real for one of the machines on my LAN here. I am posting this in an attempt to narrow it down.

Symptoms: When using VLC to rtp/udp stream over LAN, file format OGM, certain client machines BSODs/crashes randomly. Many different files (all OGM) streamed, BSODs happens randomly for one certain machine.

Client machine that BSODs/crashes is via chipset, AMD processor 1600+, nvidia gfx card (6200), 512Mb RAM, Windows XP, fresh reinstalled, SBlive soundcard. Other machines on LAN are better.

Drivers and bios are the latest available, XP is patched with latest upgrades (april 2006) and nothing else BSODs the machine.

It seems that VLC runs better in windowed mode. When using fullscreen the BSODs/crashes are certain to appear. Downgrading to VLC 0.8.1 did not change this, nor upgrading to 0.8.5test (nightly build april 12). Crashes do appear in windowed mode as well, but not as often as using fullscreen.

Same BSODs/crashes appear when changing soundcard to older Soundblaster card and also when using older nvidia ti200 GF3 gfx card and combinations of these. Moving cards around to different PCI slots have no effect implying that it's not IRQ conflicts involved.

It's very easy to say that this is hardware related, since out of 5 machines on the LAN, only one has the problem. However, no other crashes or BSODs appear on the machine for any other software.

If anyone would happen to find a solution or some way to narrow this issue down even more, please post to this thread or msg me.

Greetings,
/Humperdinck

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”