nVidia WDM composite in gives audio but no video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
derffred
New Cone
New Cone

nVidia WDM composite in gives audio but no video

Postby derffred » 07 Apr 2006 08:04

I have searched the forum for posts relating to the use of WDM capture drivers and video composite in. I have selected the correct source Pal_B 625 lines etc... It says 'Signal Detected 1' and I have selected the correct crossover pins.

The 'View stream and media info' says stream 0 is video UYVY 25.0 fps 720x576 and stream 1 audio.

I have selected for stream output: play locally and save to file. No video is displayed and on playback the file has audio but no video.

The 'Display while streaming' 'Enable audio output' and 'Enable video output' are all checked. The Sout boxes 'Enable video' and 'Enable audio' are also checked. Also, the "Enable video' 'Skip frames' 'Overlay video output' and 'Always on top' are checked.

I noticed no messages in the log and also after repeated attempts I noticed the play list had lots of dshow:// - the rest of the MRL was missing.

Am I missing anything?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 07 Apr 2006 14:07

Eh, did you try playback only, to make sure that was working before you took up any "complicated" things like saving to file ???

Because you cannot save RAW video to file without encoding.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

derffred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby derffred » 09 Apr 2006 05:40

Yes, I've tried dozens and dozens of times with play only with many different settings. I've tried with the video overlay check box checked and unchecked and with playing in separate window.
:sout=#duplicate{dst=display}

I don't even get black and white horizontal lines in that separate window. I should at least get a blue or green window once the composite in signal is found.

1st Crossbar:
Input: 0:Video composite in
Current input 0:video composite in - related pin 3:audio line in
Link related streams box checked.
Output: 0:video composite out - related pin 3:audio decoder out
2nd Crossbar:
Input 0:video composite in - related pin -1:mute in
Link related streams box unchecked
Output 0:video decoder out - related pin 1:unknown out

I have a Leadtek Ti4200 card with video drivers ver 6.14.10.8198 and nVidea WDM driver ver 4.0.100.1190.

I've tried the suggestion in the 2004 post I found by searching the archives here for references to problems with nVidia WDM capture driver. That post said you start another app that does work first, then start VLC, then reset the options in the first app to get VLC to initialise the WDM capture driver but all that achieved was to make VLC crash.

Quovodis
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Quovodis » 09 Apr 2006 21:30

try a recent nightly build of VLC, and if it still does not work, post a debug log with verbosity set to 2

derffred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby derffred » 10 Apr 2006 08:06

I have downloaded and installed vlc-0.8.5-test2-win32.exe but it crashes on reaching the device properties dialogs.

I give up! I agree with the guy who says "still buggy after all these years."

VLC can't even display on my screen the composite video in that Movie maker and VirtualDub can!

derffred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby derffred » 10 Apr 2006 08:21

VLC has crashed and now I can't even start another video capture app because vlc.exe is still running. I can't kill the process with task manager so now I'm forced to close all apps and to reboot.

It is over two years since problems with composite in and WDM capture drivers were identified. They have still not been fixed. What is the point of having esoteric options if VLC can't even do the basic stuff?

derffred
New Cone
New Cone

I'll try again in 5 years when VLC is version 1.1

Postby derffred » 11 Apr 2006 15:03

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: I'll try again in 5 years when VLC is version 1.1

Postby dionoea » 11 Apr 2006 15:05

VLC will never reach version 1.1 !!!!!!!
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

LePe

Postby LePe » 15 Apr 2006 16:49

VLC has crashed and now I can't even start another video capture app because vlc.exe is still running. I can't kill the process with task manager so now I'm forced to close all apps and to reboot.
It's funy. I'm suffering the same problem but with VirtualDub 1.6.14.
When I first started VD it worked just fine. Then sudenly, after couple of days, it stopped accepting Microsoft WDM Video Capture device and got stuck. VD greated two programs and proceses in Task Manager and they were not possible to kill.
Since this first time it got stuck it's not been able to Capture anything with VD, but Movie Maker and Acer Arcede work just fine.

When I try to connect to Microsoft WDM Video Capture device the video input goes off in Arcade too. This did not happen before the first stuck.

What can be wrong?

All programs have been uninstalled, registry cleaned and then programs reinstalled - but no help.
VirtualDub do not work anymore. :oops:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”