Want to play lowlatency-HLS stream with low latency, but delay increases with time

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
naturelover44115
New Cone
New Cone

Want to play lowlatency-HLS stream with low latency, but delay increases with time

Postby naturelover44115 » 04 Oct 2024 17:31

Hello,

I am using command vlc https://website.com/path/file.m3u8 to play a low latency HLS stream (the kind with EXT-X-LHLS-IN-PROGRESS). It starts out with reasonable latency, but if it runs for half an hour it builds up five seconds of latency. Some command line arguments improve it somewhat but not that much. I currently need to restart it every few minutes to get the desired latency. How can I reduce this? I would like to have as low delay as possible even if that means hiccups every thirty seconds. If there's no other way, whether other tool or vlc configuration or arguments, I will modify the VLC code, and would appreciate direction towards the part of the code that controls that delay. I already successfully recompiled it and tried to reduce the delay but my first guess at what controls the delay appeared wrong.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”