VLC not compatible with Chromecast with Google TV - wrong namespace

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
jcoe2412
New Cone
New Cone

VLC not compatible with Chromecast with Google TV - wrong namespace

Postby jcoe2412 » 03 Sep 2024 13:14

Dears

I am using VLC 3 on the raspberry PI, but it looks like others had similar problems on other platforms, so unlikely linked to the OS. While the following works perfectly with an old chromecast (prior the devices including Google TV) :

vlc MY_STREAM_URL --sout "#chromecast" --sout-chromecast-ip=MY_CHROMECAST_IP --demux-filter=demux_chromecast

The same returns an error message and fails on recent Chromecast with Google TV , the error *seems* relates to namespace :

[00007fff300010e0] stream_out_chromecast stream out error: Unknown namespace: urn:x-cast:com.google.cast.multizone

I tried to force the name space with the following, but without luck

vlc MY_STREAM_URL --sout "#chromecast,namespace=urn:x-cast:com.google.cast.media" --sout-chromecast-ip=MY_CHROMECAST_IP --demux-filter=demux_chromecast

So streaming is not working at all from VLC...
Is there any solution, or a plan to have an update of VLC fixing this ?

Thanks

jcoe2412
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC not compatible with Chromecast with Google TV - wrong namespace

Postby jcoe2412 » 08 Sep 2024 23:04

Dears

actually I need to correct the message above somehow. With the recent chromecast with Google TV I can cast my movie stream from my plex server to the new chromecast from the VLC GUI interface by selecting the chromecast renderer from the GUI playback menu, it's only when using the command line that it fails. The command line actually works when I use a test url like http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com ... kBunny.mp4, but as soon as I replace this with a URL from my plex server (pointing to a mkv file), then it fails. When it works with the BigBugBunny url, I also have the error about the namespace, so I guess this is just a warning and not the real issue.

I works perfectly if I just switch and connect an old chromecast, so something definitely changed somewhere. Any idea ?

jcoe2412
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jcoe2412 » 09 Sep 2024 11:11

some update : the command line vlc MY_URL --sout '#chromecast{ip=MY_CHROMACST_IP}'--demux-filter=demux_chromecast works when MY_URL points to a mkv file stored locally, but it does not work when the same mkv file is accessed through a URL from my PLEX server, though this was perfectly working with the exact same code with an old chromecast without Google TV, and while this works fine when running from the VLC GUI and selecting the chromecast renderer.

Bottomline : there is a difference between the processing done by selecting my chromecast from the GUI and from the command line, and this difference is only affecting the recent chromecasts, not the old ones. What could it be ?

gkowalchuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gkowalchuk » 23 Sep 2024 20:00

True, stopped working after Chromecast update on TV box
Solution: On TV box, SETTINGS / APPS / SEE ALL APPS / System apps / GOOGLE CAST / UNINSTALL UPDATES

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”