Coverting audio codec in m4v file

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Riderintherain
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Coverting audio codec in m4v file

Postby Riderintherain » 08 Jun 2024 09:45

I've a m4v file in which the video codec is avc and the audio codec is mpeg audio. The file plays perfectly fine in vlc. However, in windows media player the file produces no audio (picture is fine).

I tried to use vlc to convert the audio codec to mpeg 4 audio (aac), without changing the video codec. I know the mpeg 4 audio (aac) codec should be compatible with windows media player.

The problem I was running into was that, after specifiing the output file (say, temp) and letting vlc start the conversion, vlc seemed to go into a never ending loop with a dialog box poping up after each conversion pass, notifying me the temp file already existed. I was then given the choice to over-write the existing file. Choosing this option then led vlc to go through another conversion pass with the same dialogue box poping up again. This cycle repeated itself without end.

I'd appreciate some clue for overcoming the above problem.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Coverting audio codec in m4v file

Postby Lotesdelere » 08 Jun 2024 11:40

M4V is usually for video only files and M4A for audio only.
So change the .M4V extension to .MP4 and check if it's any better in WMP.

Riderintherain
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Riderintherain » 08 Jun 2024 12:36

I already tried changing the file extension to .mp4. It didn't work. WMP would still only play the video with no audio.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 08 Jun 2024 13:51

Sounds like your file is damaged or corrupted, try to remux it with FFmpeg:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy output.mp4

Riderintherain
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Riderintherain » 09 Jun 2024 08:37

As I stated in my Op, the file plays fine in vlc, so it is neither damaged nor corrupted.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 10 Jun 2024 11:47

It might be because sometimes VLC can do miracles :)
Anyway, please try what I suggested and also post the Media Info report of your file:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows

Riderintherain
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Riderintherain » 11 Jun 2024 12:04

Here is from mediainfo about the file:

______________________________________________________________________________________
Container and general information
MPEG-4 (Base Media): 2.91 GIB, 1 h 39 min Encoded date: UTC 2023-02-12 23:03:43
1 video stream: AVC Tagged date: UTC 2023-02012:23:03:43
1 audio stream: MPEG Audio Writing application: vlc 3.0.18 stream output

First video stream
English, 4066 kb/s, 1920*1080 (16:9), at 24.000FPS, AVC (High@L4) (CABAC/4 RefFrames)

First audio stream
English, 128 kb/s, 44.1 kHz, 2 channels, MPEG Audio (Version 1) (Layer 2)
___________________________________________________________________________________

BTW, I tried multiple different players, and the file plays find in all of them. So I think the problem has to do with WMP not being compatible with the MPEG Audio codec. Since I know the MPEG 4 Audio (aac) codec is compatible with WMP, one would think the easiest way to solve this problem is to simply switch the audio codec, leaving the video codec unchanged. But using vlc for the conversion runs into the problem I described in my OP. I could of course try a different conversion app, but nevertheless would like to understand why vlc would fail at this task.

One other data point: when vlc is stuck in the never-ending loop I described in my OP, I was able to force vlc to quit (by using task manager). After doing so, I discovered that vlc had produced an audio file (no picture) that plays perfectly in WMP. Since this audio file uses the MPEG 4 Audio (aac) codec, it shows my original thinking is correct.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 11 Jun 2024 13:16

Riderintherain
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Riderintherain » 12 Jun 2024 04:10

Yes, that thread deals with the exact same problem I ran into. Unfortunately, there seems to be no solution for it. I wonder whether this is a vlc bug.

Thanks anyways for your kind assistance.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”