Fullscreen/Extended display issue with varying video resolutions

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
margites
New Cone
New Cone

Fullscreen/Extended display issue with varying video resolutions

Postby margites » 08 May 2024 20:32

Hi,

I’m hoping to find a solution to an issue I’ve been encountering with VLC. My goal is to use VLC to playback a playlist of videos in full screen on a second (extended) display with my playlist and controls on my primary display (where I’m able to control playback and edit the playlist without interfering with the presentation on the second display). The problem that I’m having is that unless all videos in the playlist are precisely the same resolution (e.g. 1920 x 1080), VLC will exit fullscreen on the second display and will instead continue playback on the primary display, non fullscreened.

I’ve been experiencing this issue with 3.0.20 Vetinari, but I’ve also been experiencing it with versions going back three years now. The issue has occurred on a wide variety of hardware (ryzen/intel CPUs, nvidia/radeon GPUs, etc) and on both windows 10 and windows 11. I have VLC configured to de-embed the video from the interface. I also have “fullscreen device” set to DISPLAY 2 (although this has also never worked for me and I always need to drag the video onto display 2 and enable fullscreen). I’ve also tried to make adjustments in many other configuration options, but with no success. I’m hoping that I’m simply missing something obvious here. Any insight or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Fullscreen/Extended display issue with varying video resolutions

Postby Lotesdelere » 09 May 2024 14:35

I think, but I'm not sure about, that VLC resets the video output between each video. Maybe a dev will confirm that.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Fullscreen/Extended display issue with varying video resolutions

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 09 May 2024 16:10

You can force fullscreen by default from preferences. VLC will reset to settings whenever the video dimensions or aspect ratio change.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”