VLC can not open srt files from shared samba folder

*nix specific usage questions
Sam_Fisher
New Cone
New Cone

VLC can not open srt files from shared samba folder

Postby Sam_Fisher » 05 May 2024 22:43

I have a RPI serving as a server at my home. It has a storage device that holds my video files. There are also "srt" subtitle files, with the "same name" as the video files next to them. If i open one of those video files from my remote computer using VLC, those subtitle files are not loaded. Even when i "drag and drop them", in which case VLC actually says "subtitle added", however, it doesn't add the file. The file is not listed when i right click on the video. And subs do not change.

I can read and write to/from that drive perfectly fine from any other machine that is connected to the same network and VLC from any of those machines can play the video files. My google TV can see and load the subtitles (if i manually do it, it doesn't automatically load them unfortunately). But on my Linux machine with VLC version 3.0.20, subtitle files from my remote storage can not be loaded.

When i try to open those videos from a storage device directly connected the computer that i am talking about, those subs are loaded automatically.

Is this a bug?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: VLC can not open srt files from shared samba folder

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 06 May 2024 08:39

Make sure the filesystem is mounted (and access through the mount point).
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Sam_Fisher
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sam_Fisher » 06 May 2024 14:52

Make sure the filesystem is mounted (and access through the mount point).
I am sorry but i did not get this. The file system is already mounted as i can actually play the video files from it in VLC. The only problem is with the subtitle files (srt). VLC can open remote video files but not the subtitle files.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 06 May 2024 19:28

VLC does not care (or even see) if a file is remote or local, so long as the file system is properly mounted and files are accessed via the mount point. It's as simple as that. I don't know what you are trying to say.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Sam_Fisher
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sam_Fisher » 06 May 2024 22:32

VLC does not care (or even see) if a file is remote or local, so long as the file system is properly mounted and files are accessed via the mount point. It's as simple as that. I don't know what you are trying to say.
I think i have explained my problem properly in my first post. VLC does not load srt files from a remote server even when i drag and drop that file from a file manager. That is on Linux. The remote server also runs Linux. VLC can play the files on that server perfectly fine, but the srt file next to that video can not be loaded. It says "subtitle track added" on screen but it actually does not do it.

If i copy and paste the srt file from that remote server to a storage device directly connected to the computer that is running VLC, i can actually load that subtitle.

So basically, videos from remote server can be played on VLC on a different computer. Subtitle files on the same server area not loaded. Can not be loaded. Only loaded if i copy and paste those subtitles to the drive connected to the computer itself.

I don't know how clearer can i describe it.

Sam_Fisher
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sam_Fisher » 07 May 2024 02:02

Here in this bug report is the exact same issue that i am having: https://github.com/flathub/org.videolan.VLC/issues/36

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 07 May 2024 08:42

As you can see that bug is not an upstream VLC bug but an issue with GVFS.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Sam_Fisher
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sam_Fisher » 07 May 2024 09:18

As you can see that bug is not an upstream VLC bug but an issue with GVFS.
Well, Kodi does not have this problem. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”