VLC Crashes everytime after update [4k hdr 10bit MP4-MKV Vids]

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
JeffTyson
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Crashes everytime after update [4k hdr 10bit MP4-MKV Vids]

Postby JeffTyson » 26 Apr 2024 00:17

Good evening dear people,

I am having problems since yesterday after I updated VLC to its newest Version, 3.0.20.
I had version 3.0.18 I think before I updated to VLC 3.0.20 and it was all working fine,
the reason I updated was that I thought that I could use special HDR Settings/HDR Tone Mapping,
but I didnt know before that those settings were already present and that I could change them... So I proceeded to update anyways.
And then the problems started appearing, everytime I opened an MKV File it crashed. every... single... time... and even MP4 does the same effect.
So what did I do? I uninstalled VLC a couple times and even cleared cache files and deleted the VideoLan folder after uninstall then rebooted and reinstalled 3.0.20,
nothing, so I did the same procedure of before and then installed 3.0.18 and again NOTHING. I was losing my mind, I uninstalled the GPU Drivers etc.
Until I googled the problem, I found a post on reddit where a guy asked a similar question to mine, and people in comments told him to set the Hardware Renderer thingy to OpenGl for Windows, so i did too.

And then everything worked! Until like an hour ago, I was watching peacefully a movie and then out of nowhere VLC decided to whoopsie daisy me and gave me a Gray background,
out of nowhere, and then the whole movie was like that until couple minutes later it became normal again... I do not know what is going on, I didn't even finish my movie because I was frustated about this problem
I retried today but still no success...

The strangest thing is that I even used the Video Player of K-Lite Codec Pack and the movie went fine on its own, until I came back at that timezone like on VLC and the Video did Show, but stuttery, honestly looked like some Content Aware Meme Video Filter over it, lol... and then became normal again after that couple minute, the Video is not corrupted to say the least, so it's even stranger.

What do I need to do? It was all perfect before, I didnt update anything else, I even had k-lite codec mega pack and uninstalled and tried with no success even... I do not want to reinstall Windows just because of this silly problem...

In case somebody wants to know my PC Specs here they are:

SSD: SN770 WD BLACK 1Tb
CPU Ryzen 5 2500u with Integrated Graphics [ Vega 8 1024mb vram]
Ram: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz Kingston

Laptop: HP 255 G7

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC Crashes everytime after update [4k hdr 10bit MP4-MKV Vids]

Postby Lotesdelere » 26 Apr 2024 09:56

The strangest thing is that I even used the Video Player of K-Lite Codec Pack and the movie went fine on its own, until I came back at that timezone like on VLC and the Video did Show, but stuttery, honestly looked like some Content Aware Meme Video Filter over it, lol... and then became normal again after that couple minute, the Video is not corrupted to say the least, so it's even stranger.

CPU Ryzen 5 2500u with Integrated Graphics [ Vega 8 1024mb vram]

There is this old similar report about the Vega 8:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=146340

And the Radeon Vega's are integrated graphics card which are using system shared memory and this is quite slow, maybe this can explain that with different players.

JeffTyson
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JeffTyson » 26 Apr 2024 12:58

Thanks for the help, i will try to let you know if it works when i install version 3.0.3.

JeffTyson
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JeffTyson » 26 Apr 2024 13:39

So I tried installing older versions of VLC till 3.0.2 because it's already alot old, and still the same problem, I did not update the Gpu's drivers so it cannot be that, what else can it be? My pc didnt lag when I played back 4k bluray movies on VLC.

JeffTyson
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JeffTyson » 27 Apr 2024 12:45

In the end I fixed the lagging and crashing issue, I followed this tutorial here:

https://youtu.be/LpjEvcU9DEk

now everything runs smoothly and nothing crashes :,)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”