VLC stopped playing youtube!

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Lucas Zxc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.18
Operating System: Windows 11

Re: VLC stopped playing youtube!

Postby Lucas Zxc » 06 Apr 2024 12:28

Yes, the new youtube.lua allows you to play simple yutubins (streams and the previous lua plays).
But-with this, lua stops automatically switching to the best quality video format!
Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n_xCI-peq0 - reproduces, but still remains in the 18 format (640x360).
Everything is fine with YouTube streams - it switches the formats automatically.

In general, everything remains the same - you can only work adequately through yt-dlp (+ffmpeg)!

ps: it turns out that the script is in the 3.0.19 and 3.0.20 builds, even newer in date than the script on the developers ' site..
I tested this one and the same problem occurs
lua error: Couldn't descramble YouTube throttling URL parameter: data transfer will get throttled

How do I solve this specific part?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 06 Apr 2024 13:07

Same as before, it's a cat and mouse game, just wait for an update of the LUA script.

Lucas Zxc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.18
Operating System: Windows 11

Postby Lucas Zxc » 08 Apr 2024 23:34

Same as before, it's a cat and mouse game, just wait for an update of the LUA script.
and will you guys let us know here when this update will arrive?

NLKU
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NLKU » 23 Jun 2024 16:37

Just wanted to let y'all know it can't be the lua script that's bugging out. I've been streaming/dl-ing videos for over at least a year with the VLC+lua I had until 2 weeks ago without error (on an unupdated version of VLC even), and people as recent as 2024 are complaining about the issue (which is weird isn't it?). It recently started bugging out on me and I can't stream it. So, here's the causal conclusion of basic rational thought;

1) If it works for one person, and not for another it; a) Can't be that the VLCplayer/.lua are broken in general, and b) it can't be a blanket solution from youtube's end of things. It has to be something else breaking the feature.
2) If it targets specific users only, despite their setup, it's tied to a device identifier. (For instance, I read one of these posts mentioning windows didn't work while android worked, even on bluestack on a windows setup, which basically spoofs a device identifier into the mix that might resolve the 'targeted user' issue. I think that has something to do with 'anti-cheat' (read: backdoor security threat) being so pervasive and intrusive and these emulators needing to circumvent said 'anti-cheat'. Which is a whole can of worms on it's own. I do not advise downloading said emulators or installing games that require anti-cheat under any circumstances (if we don't buy those games, they won't continue distributing "anti-cheat"/RAT's legitimizing their profit/interests over our own freedom/interests. There is a very relevant and primary lesson to be learned here). Be warned for potential backdoors/RATs from intentional zero-days that won't be patched or acknowledged by the distributor of said anti-cheat. If you give away the keys to your house... don't blame others for being robbed while you were not looking).
3) If the conversation keeps repeating over years now, and the result is that it doesn't get resolved, then maybe there is a psy-op here (in the forum) or some other form of discouragement going on to disinform and derail the conversation to leave the less informed amongst us clueless about how to solve this issue and give up. It definatly isn't a "cat-and-mouse-game" or "the algorithm" like stated several times, since it worked just fine for me over the history of this entire post. One must also notice it's not like people are coming to this forum to tell everyone how it does still work on their end, so it's a one-sided conversation (which is weird if it works "for some and not for others" like stated in another post). It worked with mine until two weeks ago, and I have been streaming/dl-ing for a looooong time now (probably before 2020 even, but did total 'reset' of my system several times in the meantime *wink* *wink* which I do periodically for overall/general security best-practices). So it's kinda odd, to say the least, that on a VLC forum noone is outright stating it works, and it must be a problem on your end/client-side. Think about it.

And for the love of god... don't download shady software. People willingly inviting thieves into their house to get free stuff... they need god like yesterday fr fr. Truly lost to idiocy and greed. These video's are already free you know. Just screen record if you can't get the direct link the video to download it yourself (right-click save). Not gonna outright spell the solutions to your problem... read between the lines.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 23 Jun 2024 18:43

YouTube has been known to vary pseudo-randomly for several years. VLC might fail one day and work the next only to break again later.

Playing YouTube videos with unofficial apps will never be something you can count on. Just take it as a convenience that may or may not work.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”