Android auto does not want to use VLC asks to install YouTube Music

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
iampowerslave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Android auto does not want to use VLC asks to install YouTube Music

Postby iampowerslave » 07 Jan 2024 23:18

HI!

I've searched the forum already and have not found answers. I've been using Android Auto in my previous car and my actual one. I could click the microphone or use a key and ask to "play Metallica" and it would use VLC (or Spotify, the last used app) from the phone (Moto G9 Plus), or I could say "play Metallica on VLC" and it would switch to that app and start playing.

Recently unless I'm using Spotify all I get is a message "To do that you need to install YouTube Music.... when it's safe, bla bla bla"

Are you aware of any changes made to VLC or from Google trying to impede us from using VLC or any config that might have changed that does not use VLC from the assistant?

I've not made changes to my device

Thanks!

rstone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Android auto does not want to use VLC asks to install YouTube Music

Postby rstone » 21 Jan 2024 16:56

YouTube Music is selected as your default playback application.

Navigate to Settings -> Apps and Notifications -> Assistant -> Music and Select "No default provider"

iampowerslave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby iampowerslave » 15 May 2024 20:26

YouTube Music is selected as your default playback application.

Navigate to Settings -> Apps and Notifications -> Assistant -> Music and Select "No default provider"
Thanks! That was it... It "changed" by itself (update?)

Sorry for not coming back earlier

Jarin214
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0
Operating System: Windows/android

Postby Jarin214 » 17 May 2024 01:08

2024 Toy Crown Andriod auto says VLC is NOT a supported app. It was supported until the middle of April 2024. I used it exclusively to play music. Android auto changed the app to iheart radio. Prior to the abrupt change my Samsung phone would ask if vlc played properly when I turned the vehicle off. Humm.
I Uninstaller iheart app leaving only vlc on phone. Now andriod auto says there is no media player installed. I only had vlc and iheart on phone. Vlc music was sometimes choppy via wireless connection. Iheart not choppy at all.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”