ISSUE WITH MP3 AUDIO BEING ALTERED & FILE SIZE

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
vidme-1
New Cone
New Cone

ISSUE WITH MP3 AUDIO BEING ALTERED & FILE SIZE

Postby vidme-1 » 19 Nov 2023 23:20

I am running Win10 3.0.20 VETINARI. I frequently play along with mp3 or mp4 files and often loop a section of the recording with VLC but lately I am finding files I have recorded in Youtube with smart recorder as WAVs and converted using Applian TO mp3 and then looped to play a particular section. At some point of playing these files for several days some start to jump like an old vinyl record.
If I reboot the desktop the file continues to be corrupt. I checked the file size and it was different to the cloned other files that I copied from it and put in several places. I am now faced with trying to place an `R` read attribute on files that I am using this way. Also I note that it seems to happen when online. This is the 3rd or forth occasion that my files have been corrupted by VLC making them no good.
I note that there is a "continue" feature button in VLC that makes no difference to the problem. This may of been the case in 3.0.19 but it is a recent problem.
This particular file has been corrupted in several places and I believe it is something to do with the loopback feature ?
I need a solution before hundreds of files are corrupted without my knowing.

INTACT COPY
size 3.48 MB (3,656,059 bytes)
size on disk 3.48 MB (3,657,728 bytes)

CORRUPTED COPY THAT WAS IN USE
2.28 MB (2,393,109 bytes)
2.28 MB (2,396,160 bytes)

vidme-1
New Cone
New Cone

Re: ISSUE WITH MP3 AUDIO BEING ALTERED & FILE SIZE

Postby vidme-1 » 22 Nov 2023 23:43

Can I also add that the file is only 3 seconds shorter yet it has lost a 3rd of its size

This is running a straight windows 10 install , I note tonight (several days on) that clicking on this corrupted (altered) file instead of the the intact file (rerecorded from mp4 to mp3 and used as an identical version to the Youtube MP4 version in all but quality ) that I have been working with will then have VLC player momentarily show the `continue` button. I see 49 views but no answers ! Something is writing to these files and its a fully secured up to date system.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 23 Nov 2023 11:25

I'm not sure to understand what is the problem.
When it's just playing files VLC does not write anything to them so VLC can't corrupt them.

vidme-1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vidme-1 » 25 Nov 2023 20:09

Hello , The files ARE being written too , they are being altered. Where I have used the loop function and played certain passages over and over has somehow ended up permanently altering the file. I would happily upload these files for someone to examine what could have edited them. I only have one such example currently. The files are being altered. I have been forced to record the Youtube MP4 as an WAV and then convert to an MP3 all over again. These files have been nowhere near `audacity` which I have installed or any other editor - something is writing to them and it's permanent.

It was no my imagination when 3.0.20 first came out and would play certain MP4s but not other MP4s.

Thanks for your interest however.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 26 Nov 2023 20:27

We can't answer for whatever piece of software on your system is causing the corruption. Official VLC releases don't modify files to play them.

There was a bug whence VLC would update the file modification time. But that was fixed before 3.0.20 came out, and did not change the file's actual content.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

vidme-1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vidme-1 » 28 Nov 2023 21:00

Hello ,

I find all this a bit odd.

For my own piece of mind I opened a test wav file with VLC player

I then hit the red button and a few seconds later hit the red button again and to expect VLC to trim the file (alter) as it says it can do.

The file was saved automatically as vlc-record-2023-11-25-21h15m22s-VLC TEST.wav in (if I recall) \my music folder

The file had been trimmed (altered) and saved

You seem to imply as did the previous post that VLC cannot alter MP3s - I say it has done this without my permission to the original file , several times.

A media player surely should be just that - a player ! No editing software has been running when I have used VLC player to play them.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 29 Nov 2023 08:20

Record can be used to trim files, sure. That doesn't modify the source file though.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

vidme-1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vidme-1 » 29 Nov 2023 17:03

Hello ,thanks for your reply - appreciated. Your right of course. VLC cannot modify the source file. I still believe it OR something using it has though. One cannot be naive in the days of Snowden revelations however I am glad to of been able to put this post out there. I will note however last night after running VLC looping a section of a wav file over and over at quad speed that I got a pop up "Windows defender firewall has blocked some features of this app" Its enabled for public networks only running off a hardwired desktop to sky router running F-sec suite Win 10.
(1st line I.T. pro for 2 yrs)
Leave it with you.

MystiqueWanderer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MystiqueWanderer » 01 Dec 2023 12:48

I had a similar issue a while ago. Basically, what you can do is run a system check for any underlying issues. Use the Windows System File Checker tool (sfc /scannow in the command prompt) to check for system integrity violations.

vidme-1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vidme-1 » 01 Dec 2023 21:55

Yes thanks for that . I wont go down that road as I have gone through the whole gambit of rebuilding and software system checks - there really extensive - this due to system crashes that were in the end because of an ATI graphics driver (no further updates available and on board graphics)that could not be further updated and needed removing before win10 final main upgrade. I also had temp results from the power management options (processor for audio) and also a possible dry solder problem on board but system has been totally stable for months ! If I have an important audio to rehearse with from now on then I will make it read only in the hope this problem wont re-occur and by the way - if you use the trim option I think with the brief use I have made of it then I think maybe I can only trim the file once ONLY . The recording in question had several trims/corruptions and not to the saved file but the source file - kind of worrying.

MystiqueWanderer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MystiqueWanderer » 02 Dec 2023 18:28

Also, since you mentioned that the issue seems to occur when online, there might be external factors at play. Keep an eye on when the corruption happens to see if there's a pattern.

vidme-1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vidme-1 » 06 Dec 2023 21:39

I have one further update . . .
Turns out that a deep virus scan was required. This revealed remote accessing software in an ISO trial download . It may of been active or inactive but remote s/w of some sort was detected by a 3rd party and reported to me.
That software (not detected in real time functions / quick scans ) has now been destroyed.
Could it be responsible ?
(Downloader:W32/OfferGenerator!fsmind_tc{"Behaviour":"0","Dang)

MystiqueWanderer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MystiqueWanderer » 08 Dec 2023 14:10

OMG! And we've been thinking how we can solve the issue. It's good that you did a deep virus scan, though, and it revealed the root of the issue.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”