Quirks and a bug in Bookmarks support

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
DanQ
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Quirks and a bug in Bookmarks support

Postby DanQ » 23 Oct 2023 07:38

Support for Bookmarks is somewhat limited in VLC (e.g., there's apparently no way to sort the Bookmarks into chronological order), so I wrote a simple app to process an XSPF file.

Whilst doing this, I've discovered a (1) quirk and (2) a bug in VLC bookmark support.

(1) The quirk is that if I open a XSPF file in VLC and add some bookmarks, when I save it as a new file, there are two or possibly even three entire copies of the Bookmarks in the file.

I.e., there will be separate elements, like <vlc:item tid="0"/>, <vlc:item tid="1"/>, <vlc:item tid="2"/>.

Next time I open the file, it seems like only the last one is being shown — meaning the last element is the "current" one?

I'm not sure why this is happening, and wonder if anyone has any insight.

(2) The bug is that if I create a bookmark whose title includes a comma, the Bookmark loses the text after the comma, because the Bookmark data itself is comma-delimited, and the comma in the title isn't escaped, e.g., as &#44; or &comma;.

This seems like something that should be fixed, to avoid data loss or corruption in the Bookmarks.

Thanks,

D.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”