SMB for VLC on (Android TV) suddenly stopped working after clearing media db and app db..

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
VLCAddictrx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

SMB for VLC on (Android TV) suddenly stopped working after clearing media db and app db..

Postby VLCAddictrx » 12 Oct 2023 14:14

I had have my PC connected via SMB, things were working fine till day.
I tried to clear media database, clear app data, clear playback history, also did quit and restart application, Now it wont connect to PC.
Tried to do everything including re-install.

PC name is visible in Local Area Network, Clicking on PC name throws error:
Your input cant be opened, VLC is unable to open the MRL 'SMB://pc-NAME'. Check log file for details.
This is the log file - https://pastebin.com/7kthzb0M

I tried to connect to PC with FX File explorer smb AND this works fine. Not sure what to debug further ?

rphair
New Cone
New Cone

Re: SMB for VLC on (Android TV) suddenly stopped working after clearing media db and app db..

Postby rphair » 13 Oct 2023 01:13

I'm also affected by this: same problem, not just after clearing the app data but for an ordinary new setup:

Same error message as above. I have 2 of the same Android device in the house (Kindle Fire Stick 4K), both with the latest version of VLC Media player (I believe, since one was just installed & the older one did a software update recently: I can confirm this if needed). Only the one that was set up a few months ago works properly, and has been working ever since originally prompting for the SMB credentials to access our shared media folder.

The other, when accessing the same shared folder today, never prompts to enter a username & password for SMB. The problem persists even after clearing the application data, restarting the device, etc. It's not a device or network permission problem since SMB through Nova Video Player on the same device works properly: to prompt & successfully use the credentials that VLC does not prompt for.

Therefore it seems the new VLC version is no longer able to prompt for new SMB share credentials. Any work-around for this (other than installing Nova Video Player) would be welcome. :shock:

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: SMB for VLC on (Android TV) suddenly stopped working after clearing media db and app db..

Postby Aza » 13 Oct 2023 07:07

Thanks for your report. Could you please try with a nightly build (here https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-andr ... tly-arm64/) and tell me if the issue is solved in it?

VLCAddictrx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCAddictrx » 13 Oct 2023 08:17

Tried this 2 filesñ
VLC-Android-3.5.4-armv8-20231013-0116.apk
VLC-Android-3.5.4-armv8-20231012-0122.apk

Those get installed on android mobile (smb works properly) but not on tv.
Gives error on tv - app not installed.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 13 Oct 2023 10:50

Your device is probably using an armv7 CPU. Can you try this instead? https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-andr ... tly-armv7/

VLCAddictrx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCAddictrx » 13 Oct 2023 11:20

Your device is probably using an armv7 CPU. Can you try this instead? https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-andr ... tly-armv7/
Thank You aza,,
That worked absolutely perfect. Issue resolved.
Between new icon color change is refreshing.

lwc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lwc » 15 Oct 2023 17:29

Thank You aza,,
That worked absolutely perfect. Issue resolved.
Between new icon color change is refreshing.
It fixed it for me too (VLC-Android-3.5.4-armv7-20231015-0122.apk), hooray!
Is there an issue about it? Is an official fix expected soon?
Last but not least, once a new stable version comes up, will I have to uninstall the daily build and re-install using Play Store?

VLCAddictrx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCAddictrx » 15 Oct 2023 17:42

Last but not least, once a new stable version comes up, will I have to uninstall the daily build and re-install using Play Store?
I assume yes

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 16 Oct 2023 06:43

Is there an issue about it? Is an official fix expected soon?
The fix is here: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/ ... uests/3870

It will be included in the 3.6 version.

Both nightly and release versions can be installed in parallel. When 3.6 is published, you can get rid of the nightly version if you want.

lwc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lwc » 20 Oct 2023 19:02

Something isn't right in this fix - it blames "last Windows update" for what happened, but one its included fixes states "Since last Windows 11 update (KB5026436), Windows SMB servers need a valid Auth (user + password) even for a guest/anonymous login", except:
  1. How come if affects Windows 10 too then?
  2. This Windows 11 update is from May, so how come it affected VLC (for multiple users) only in October which is almost half a year later?
Both nightly and release versions can be installed in parallel. When 3.6 is published, you can get rid of the nightly version if you want.
I appreciate the thought but I won't keep around a broken app for possibly months - why isn't this an emergency release for the Android TV app? I bet many Android TV users have already abandoned VLC by now, since they'll probably search for another app instead of going to forums (note this thread isn't even found on Google).

VLCAddictrx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCAddictrx » 21 Oct 2023 19:52

There is no good alternative yet for VLC..
I tried few but not happy

VLCAddictrx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCAddictrx » 11 Nov 2023 13:53

Installed latest files from https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-andr ... tly-armv7/

There are few issues with Subtitles, text size auto-changes wont work with settings.
Videos wont play from last position

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”