How do I play all files in folder just by opening single file?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
WOAS
New Cone
New Cone

How do I play all files in folder just by opening single file?

Postby WOAS » 01 Sep 2019 13:10

I know there was this 4-year old thread: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=125327 But there seems to be no resolution for the problem STILL.

I'll just try to clearly state my question:
"How do I make VLC player play next file in the folder without creating a playlist/use "open folder..."/use "open multiple files..."/other long workarounds."
Ideally, I want it to be like in MediaPlayerClassic: you double-click a video in certain folder, watch the video and it automatically opens the next video in that same folder. Simple as that. Is it doable?

andrewsilverland
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How do I play all files in folder just by opening single file?

Postby andrewsilverland » 03 Sep 2019 18:36

could just drag drop the folder into playlist?

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 08 Sep 2019 18:07

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/22382

ymca
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ymca » 21 Jan 2021 17:22

Don't know if VLC dev team will do that, but till then there's a compromise that all can use.
1. Mouse right click on a folder.
2. Play with VLC media player.

jetgraphics
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jetgraphics » 18 Oct 2022 08:13

I noticed that VLC will play sequentially if it is an iPhone / iPad app.
However, it would appear that one needs to "play" the whole folder in a desktop computer.
Personally, I'd prefer the option to play sequentially because one may have started in the middle of a folder list. Having to go back and select the whole folder, and queue up to the most recently played file is inconvenient. It can be especially frustrating if one is listening to an audio book that was chopped up into many many tiny files.

Suggestion : add option [x] play the next file automatically and [x] play the next folder automatically

Whippoorwill
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Whippoorwill » 11 Jun 2023 00:34

omg it's just lame and not user-friendly How is opening through explorer is a compromise? I considered to use it as default player and be able to open vids via other apps, from torrent client for example. How is this simple option is so hard to add? lmao. Shame mpc devs stopped its support and update, because vlc seems to have absolutely ancient interface from some oldfarts that probably don't even use mouse, cause you know anything can be done via keyboard... Sorry for being probably toщ straightforward, but I think it should has been spoken

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”