default snapshot file location

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ZamaTom
New Cone
New Cone

default snapshot file location

Postby ZamaTom » 05 Dec 2021 02:41

I stupidly listed a non-existent folder for the snapshot file location. Took a bunch of snapshots and the thumbnail flashed with the filename each time. But of course the files aren't where I expected since I made a mistake entering the name.

Do the shots really exist? And if so where do you suppose they are?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: default snapshot file location

Postby Lotesdelere » 05 Dec 2021 12:50

The default folder is the Windows Pictures folder.
Usually C:\Users\<YourUserNameHere>\Pictures

dgbear
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dgbear » 05 Dec 2021 16:31

Is there a way to set the default directory to use the current media file's "current directory" ?

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 05 Dec 2021 18:07

Hit Ctrl + P to open preferences and click the Video button. In the "Video snapshots" section click the Browse button and navigate to the new location you wish to save snapshots to. Then save, exit and restart vlc.

EDIT. Suggest you install the free Windows search tool called "Everything" : https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/ From there, click the Search button and change it to "Picture". No hanging around either and it will list every picture on your computer within a second or two.

ZamaTom
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ZamaTom » 05 Dec 2021 20:07

Thanks everyone.
I searched using windows search but didn't find anything for the non-existent folder I had entered in preferences - video- snapshots. BUT I have found in the past windows search is unreliable. It can't find files that I'm looking right at.
Anyway if it created a folder with the non-existent name it's not in pictures or at any level of the folder name.
Hitchhiker: I should have browsed to the folder as you suggest but I typed it in instead - should say typoed it in and that's what started the problem. Next time I'll know better. And I'll next try the everything tool.

The real question though is: What does VLC do if you specify a non-existent folder to save the snapshots to? Couldn't find anything in the instructions about this. It would be nice if it warned about it.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 06 Dec 2021 15:38

The real question though is: What does VLC do if you specify a non-existent folder to save the snapshots to? Couldn't find anything in the instructions about this. It would be nice if it warned about it.

I wasn't sure what the answer was to your question so I created a folder on my machine and then browsed to its location, selected it and then deleted the folder. Next step was to take a series of snapshots to see where they would go when vlc couldn't find the deleted folder.

Basically, nothing happened. Everything search couldn't find any of them so I thinks it's safe to say that in the event that the location doesn't exist all snapshots will be discarded.

rsbrux
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Windows 10 22H2

Postby rsbrux » 20 Mar 2022 19:38

Like @dgbear, I would like snapshots to be placed in the same directory as the original media file. Is there any way to do this?
Why isn't this the default?

trysting
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby trysting » 21 May 2023 17:52

I'll post this caution elsewhere, however, in Windows 11 the Pictures folder is located in c:\users\username\OneDrive\Pictures.
Yes, filing user documents in amongst the drek of Windows app files is ugly on so many levels. But VLC using this has cost me 3 hours of work. VLC writes to the folder even if the user does not have OneDrive installed. AND If OneDrive is not installed and running, the user cannot copy or move the files into the real location in which the files should be stored. Not even at DOS level.

There are other issues surrounding the OneDrive implementation, but VLC not asking for a default location for snapshots during install means that we waste time hunting out the relevant place to change the folder. Also, sometimes VLC uses the Pictures folder to save recording and sometimes the snapshots folder, so more instances of having to stop work will hunting out clips and snaps.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 22 May 2023 10:58

I'll post this caution elsewhere, however, in Windows 11 the Pictures folder is located in c:\users\username\OneDrive\Pictures.
Yes, filing user documents in amongst the drek of Windows app files is ugly on so many levels. But VLC using this has cost me 3 hours of work. VLC writes to the folder even if the user does not have OneDrive installed. AND If OneDrive is not installed and running, the user cannot copy or move the files into the real location in which the files should be stored. Not even at DOS level.

There are other issues surrounding the OneDrive implementation, but VLC not asking for a default location for snapshots during install means that we waste time hunting out the relevant place to change the folder. Also, sometimes VLC uses the Pictures folder to save recording and sometimes the snapshots folder, so more instances of having to stop work will hunting out clips and snaps.

You should create a new report ticket on the VLC issues tracker with your above report and the link to this thread:
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues

trysting
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby trysting » 28 May 2023 10:03

I can't log the issue. I am rebuilding my notebook again in an effort to get all the quick access locations out of the OneDrive folder (I don't have OneDrive installed), and for some reason GitLab won't accept the username/password I have stored in my google account. That's why I reported it here.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”