VLC not recognizing video files on home network

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Riderintherain
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC not recognizing video files on home network

Postby Riderintherain » 26 Jan 2023 22:46

I'm running VLC on the Chromecast with Google TV, which is connected to my home network via ethernet cable. My computer is running Windows 10.

When I added a folder (from an external hard drive connected to the computer) with video files to the computer's video library, the folder shows up on VLC as it should, but its content is empty; none of the files is recognized by VLC.

However, VLC does correctly recognize all files when they are located directly on the computer.

What am I missing here? Thanks for any help.

Aza
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC not recognizing video files on home network

Postby Aza » 27 Jan 2023 07:25

To be clear, on TV, you are using the Browse line, right? Does this folder have a .nomedia file by any chance? Are its files hidden files?

Riderintherain
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Riderintherain » 27 Jan 2023 09:48

Thanks for the reply. I managed to resolve the issue by restarting everything (rebooting the computer, resetting the router, closing down and reopening vlc). Evidently, something got jammed in the system.

However, I have a related question. When using vlc, I often encounter the following problem. When I go to the Browsing tab, I would find two network folders: the SMB folder pointing to my computer would always show up, but the DNLA folder pointing to my computer would show up only some of the time, seemingly on a random basis. I can never figure out why. Is there some sort of a network refresh button in vlc I could click whenever the DNLA folder disappears?

Aza
Developer
Developer

Postby Aza » 30 Jan 2023 07:40

There is not unfortunately. Leaving the app (with the back button) and reopening should rescan for network shares though.

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”