New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.18
Operating System: Linux

How to prevent these errors

Postby chrisisbd » 28 Dec 2022 18:49

When I open sound files I get a message like the following for each file:-

Code: Select all

[0000007f0410ce70] access stream error: HTTP 403 error [0000007f0410ce70] http stream error: error: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden [0000007f0410ec20] main art finder error: no suitable access module for `http://www.last.fm/music/Hubert%20Caldwell/Blue%20Ridge%20Mountain%20Field%20Trip'
This slows down the opening of directories rather considerably and, anyway, I don't desperately want to find cover images, so how do I stop this?

archenoth
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.18 Vetinari
Operating System: Windows/Linux

Re: How to prevent these errors

Postby archenoth » 11 Aug 2023 00:51

This is kinda late! But in case you're still around (or if anyone else gets gets here from searching like I did after wondering why my VLC was DOSing last.fm every time I opened a folder), you can turn this off in:

Code: Select all

Tools -> Preferences -> (Show settings "All" at the bottom left) -> Playlist
...and disabling "Allow metadata network access"!

This seems to happen because of the "Fetch artwork using lua scripts" plugin, and I don't think you can disable individual plugins without outright moving them out of the VLC install folder, so this is the most straightforward way to do that.
Thought the responsible plugins live in "/usr/lib/vlc/lua/meta/art" in a lot of Linuxes if you wanted to move/mess around with those individually

If you wanted to try getting your hands dirty with some lua, instead of outright disabling them, the most recent uncompiled versions of those lua files live here!
After editing them, you don't even need to compile them; if you delete a .luac file in that folder and put the respective .lua file back in its place, it will happily load it instead without any extra work

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”