Why does VLC skip to the next channel in the m3u list?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Avizo
New Cone
New Cone

Why does VLC skip to the next channel in the m3u list?

Postby Avizo » 15 Nov 2022 18:38

Hello all.

I use VLC since many years as a multipurpose media player, but for the first time, I try to use it to whatch iptv streaming channels, but I encounter a strange problem :

When I start to play a channel in the list, it works fine during approximately 1 minute and after... it switch to the next channel... without my permission !!! ;)
And each minute, to the next, and next channel.

If I modify the m3u file to define ONLY ONE channel, the stream play one minute and then, stop (no other channel to switch to).

It's like the player is configured to play all streams, one after the other.

I searched in all the settings but don't find any option that affect this unwanted behavior.

I'm going crazy :)

If someone has an idea, welcome :)

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Why does VLC skip to the next channel in the m3u list?

Postby Lotesdelere » 16 Nov 2022 09:43

Looks like you have connection troubles to this channel.

rom1v
Developer
Developer

Postby rom1v » 16 Nov 2022 16:06

When you open a playlist (m3u), VLC considers it is a list of tracks to play one after the other (it does not know that it is actually a list of channels, so switching to the next channel does not make sense).

So when a "track" terminates (end of file for a real track, connexion error on a live stream), then it switches to the next "track".

Avizo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Avizo » 16 Nov 2022 20:34

Looks like you have connection troubles to this channel.
Thank you for your answer.
Troubles on this channel ? I don't think. I have the same behavior on any channel on this list.
And this m3u list works perfectly with an IPTV App on my iPad, on the same network.

Avizo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Avizo » 16 Nov 2022 20:47

When you open a playlist (m3u), VLC considers it is a list of tracks to play one after the other (it does not know that it is actually a list of channels, so switching to the next channel does not make sense).

So when a "track" terminates (end of file for a real track, connexion error on a live stream), then it switches to the next "track".
Thank you for your answer.
I understand the mechanism you describe.
As I said in the previous answer, this m3u list works perfectly with an IPTV application on my iPad, on the same network.
My connection has 100Mb/s download capacity and I never reach 10% of that reserve.

If someone can give me a stream url that works well with VLC on their computer, I can check if it works with VLC on my computer.
That would let me see if the problem is with VLC or my computer/network/stream.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”