Can I add Google drive folder into Android tv VLC player?

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
Mapafius
New Cone
New Cone

Can I add Google drive folder into Android tv VLC player?

Postby Mapafius » 12 Nov 2022 12:52

So I got Android tv and wanted to use VLC. I managed to sideload google disk and also gave file manager access to my google disk. I have specific folder on the disk, dedicated to movies. I would like VLC to be able to display and explore the whole folder and all media in it, so I can just select one from there and play it. Can I do this? Sorry if this is too basic question but I was searching the answer for long time. I encountered some thread on this forum asking about having troubles with the Google disk files not being displayed properly and they actually fixed that. But this at least meant that they were able to access goodie disk folder from VLC. They said they have some "cloud" option in the menu. I don't see that in Android tv version. Is it possible on Android tv version as well?

hallergard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can I add Google drive folder into Android tv VLC player?

Postby hallergard » 12 Nov 2022 20:43

Believe you have two options: One is mounting your web account for Google Drive with the browser on the android tv. Two is mounting the Google Drive folder on your PC using the SMB protocol.

hallergard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hallergard » 12 Nov 2022 21:11

Should maybe clarify the second alternative: In VLC Browse create a favourite server using the SMB protocol.

rstone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rstone » 13 Nov 2022 04:14

Cloud support is currently only available in VLC for iOS and is not incorporated into VLC for Android (yet). Playing directly from cloud providers and synchronizing media locally (for offline access) are frequently requested features; support is under active investigation.

See: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc- ... issues/198

hallergard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hallergard » 13 Nov 2022 10:05

Yes, in the first option the streaming from the web is using the browser's media player and not VLC. So streaming using VLC is the other option which works very well.

hallergard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hallergard » 13 Nov 2022 13:14

Actually the more direct way to stream videos from Google Drive on the web is to install the Google Drive app from AptoidTV

Return to “VLC for Android and Chrome OS”