VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
kschmucker
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

Postby kschmucker » 17 Jun 2022 21:20

How do you connect a .srt file to a video in VLC for iPad, version 3.3.7?
I have done this successfully in VLC for Mac, but in VLC for iPad the only option I can see is to download subtitles from OpenSubtitles.org.

ittoks
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ittoks » 20 Jun 2022 16:57

How do you connect a .srt file to a video in VLC for iPad, version 3.3.7?
I have done this successfully in VLC for Mac, but in VLC for iPad the only option I can see is to download subtitles from OpenSubtitles.org.
Did you not see the thread 3 rows below this one "Adding subtitles" ?

ditroia
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.4.
Operating System: Win 7 Pro 64

Postby ditroia » 14 Jul 2022 13:01

Hey Team my Apple TV 4k [1st version], still isn't working when I try to stream video on SMB. Tried turning Prefer SMB 1 off as written last page, but still not working. Works fine on my Amazon Fire Stick 4K.

ittoks
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ittoks » 09 Sep 2022 19:24

Any devs or anyone that can help with: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 79#p528379

Fauntrychop
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fauntrychop » 22 Sep 2022 21:27

Still no news about the broken FTP browsing on AppleTV? When you enter a disk via FTP it always automatically plays the first file of the disk.

techtrino
New Cone
New Cone

Postby techtrino » 23 Sep 2022 22:28

So did VLC kill off AC3 on 3.3.8, suddenly none of my files with AC3 have sound

techtrino
New Cone
New Cone

Postby techtrino » 01 Oct 2022 19:40

Well I quess they did, so this is how VLC died?

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Apple
Operating System: Windows

Postby yoshiyike » 03 Oct 2022 02:35

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed something a little odd when it comes to VLC and watching videos/movies via SMB. The oddity is that it seems as if my volume has halved. I have tested multiple variations of setups and so on to see if I could solve it myself before bringing it to the forums. Considering the unusual hook up that I have, I tried a variety of variations. And nothing changes. Then I try different SMB playing apps and the volume is way different between them. So, in my opinion. Something in the one of the most recent updates has lowered the volume threshold in VLC when it comes to videos. Considering that’s my only basis because I don’t use VLC for anything else.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 07 Oct 2022 19:07

as a continuation as to trying to figure out exactly why it seems the volume of my video files have more than halved while using VLC i have been unsuccessful at finding a solution. once again i have tried a variety of apps to play my video files and the other apps seems to play the audio of the video files just fine. but within VLC itself i have to turn the volume all the way up to get it above a whisper. not to mention i have a 5.1 surround sound setup. while using the same exact setup on my apple tv, i go and play music that i have stored on my computer. so therefore it is streaming as well. the only difference is that i am not using VLC to play the music. when i do this if i turn it up all the way my neighbors can hear my music just fine. i thought it was originally something with my setup so i tried it all on a different television and sound system. yet i yield the same results. i have to multiply the volume while using VLC just to get more than a whisper. when i use different video apps it seems as if the volume situation is completely solved. i get much louder volumes with other apps. it has been nearly a month that this has been going on. i hope that it gets resolved soon.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 08 Oct 2022 14:28

@Fauntrychop: sadly, this is a libVLC core issue that is still not resolved.

@techtrino: we did not remove that option. I'll check it again but at least this was not on purpose. The VLCKit used in version 3.3.7 and 3.3.8 is identical so it should have the same audio decoding features.

@yoshiyike: we disabled the default pre-amp in order to lessen the compression on the perceived audio which greatly improved audio quality that was being complained about by audiophiles for a long time. Indeed, there is a noticeable number of users just like you who don't like this change, so we are going to add an option to configure a default pre-amp level. Note that this is unrelated to the content source and SMB.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

tcase
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tcase » 11 Oct 2022 20:39

In the last week or two I've noticed the volume drop issue and huge difficulty in playing certain files with frequent skipping and artefacting (I think it's either related to H265 or certain audio encoding but I'm not sure). Running latest App Store version on tvOS 16.0 on latest ATV 4K.

Is there a new TestFlight build I can be added to that might help with these issues?

autnagrag
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 0.8 to now 3.4.7
Operating System: MacOS, tvOS, iPad OS

Postby autnagrag » 12 Oct 2022 01:05

VLC 3.3.9

I am new here, and Felix Paul Kühne was only a wee lad when I was born. In threads that I was not clever enough to post here, I just detailed:

A very obscure method for creating a new playlist on VLC for iPad OS -- but a method still and all.

Problems loading new videos into VLC for iPad OS.

Frustratingly low volume of videos played by VLC for tvOS.

I look forward to VLC 3.4 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. One issue was known in 2020 and was not addressed in the 3.3 update, the problems loading new videos (they end up in the iPad's Files.iap, and can't be moved to the VLC app in iPad by methods I have been able to discover.

funky2714
New Cone
New Cone

Postby funky2714 » 14 Oct 2022 04:15

The volume for audio files is at an absolutely unreasonable low limited level. Also, no equalizer on the iOS version? Will be testing out other options for sure but I am hopeful these issues will be addressed.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 14 Oct 2022 13:16

We are going to add a pre-amp setting to VLC for iOS and Apple TV within the next days, which will allow you to configure a volume level of your choice. Also, the default level will be higher than in the current versions. There is an equalizer in the iOS interface since quite a while. You can access it during playback using the menu button.

@autnagrag: I'll answer your threads separately.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 15 Oct 2022 20:59

The update with the new pre-amp option (3.3.10) is now available on tvOS and iOS!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

ivancheng458
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.3.10
Operating System: IOS

Postby ivancheng458 » 16 Oct 2022 05:37

Now every time you need to turn on the screen rotation of the system to play in landscape, can you directly make a rotation button on the interface, such as rotating the playback interface into landscape mode?
Last edited by ivancheng458 on 16 Oct 2022 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

ivancheng458
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ivancheng458 » 16 Oct 2022 08:00

Now every time you need to turn on the screen rotation of the system to play in landscape, can you directly make a rotation button on the interface, such as rotating the playback interface into landscape mode?
When playing 1080P video, the phone heats up very seriously, very hot
==============
iphone 14 256G
VLC:3.3.10(440)
==============

ivancheng458
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ivancheng458 » 16 Oct 2022 08:55

When playing 1080P video, the phone heats up very seriously, very hot
==============
iphone 14 256G
VLC:3.3.10(440)
==============
i find the answer,as blow:
===
we disabled the default pre-amp in order to lessen the compression on the perceived audio which greatly improved audio quality that was being complained about by audiophiles for a long time. Indeed, there is a noticeable number of users just like you who don't like this change, so we are going to add an option to configure a default pre-amp level. Note that this is unrelated to the content source and SMB.
===
tks a lot

esh314
New Cone
New Cone

Postby esh314 » 24 Oct 2022 21:21

The update with the new pre-amp option (3.3.10) is now available on tvOS and iOS!
Thank you for this, but it still seems a little quieter than it was before. Ideally there would be a Default Pre-Amp Level option that would make the volume equivalent to that of a typical podcast or song. Maybe like 14-16 dB? What was it before the recent change that lowered the default volume? It seemed to match with other iPhone audio sources quite well before.

tropicalfun123
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tropicalfun123 » 05 Dec 2022 01:50

I have been having several issues with VLC on my Apple TV.

- I see multiple entries for the local Network for the same NAS or laptop sharing via SMB. Even with setting off for SMB1.
- Saving username and passwords is not reliable. Usually, it doesn't remember, and I have to re-enter it. Save doesn't seem to work.
- For a while, one of my Apple TVs stopped playing videos. Then toggling deinterlace to off seemed to bring it back. My other two Apple TV's (newest models) cannot play any videos from my NAS. No matter what settings I've tried.

I had very good reliability many before the summer. Since then, nothing but problems.

I'm running 3.3.10 (440)

manXeater
New Cone
New Cone

Postby manXeater » 05 Dec 2022 14:34

Anyone having storage issue on iOS? I just realised that deleting videos does not truly deletes it. It still takes up space in under “System Data”.

Deleting the app, offloading it doesn’t work. Restarting the phone doesn’t seem to work either.

Only way is to restore from a backup from my experience. Done this whole process 2x and have the same issue. Seems very replicable to me.

ChemEngr79
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ChemEngr79 » 07 Jan 2023 01:58

I have had issues arise with v3.3.12(347) on my iPad.

My videos would no longer play at all. I just got a black screen. I could connect to my video server without issue, but the videos would not play.

I was able to get the videos to play by turning off "hardware decoding" in settings. However, I have also noted that "automatically playing next item" feature no longer works, which is very cumbersome.

Does anyone else have these issues?

zaneta
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zaneta » 11 Jan 2023 19:29

VLC version 3.3.12(447) iPhone XS

Despite the video thumbnails showing the orange 'watched bar' correctly, resuming play of the video results in playing the video from the beginning 90% of the time. This started happening in the latest update.

wittenra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wittenra » 19 Jan 2023 02:18

VLC on Apple TV - quality issues on picture

I have a Apple TV and a Synology NAS, so i have also DS Video on the Apple Tv.

When i play the same video with VLC and with DS video, it seems the picture, especially with black color is not working properly.

there are stripes and back colors, but only on the apple tv with vlc.

Are there some settings, i can adjust here? And if needed, i can forward pictures for better understanding, i dont know, if if described in the best way, sorry.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 19 Jan 2023 16:53

Hello All,

I have in recent times noticed what is an irritating little issue while playing videos from SMB with VLC. As an example. I have multiple different series of shows on my SMB. if i go to watch them lets say 1-10. instead it will play 1,3,5,7,10. in other words. it skips every other video. even though i have play next turned on it still skips the directly next video. any suggestions would be appreciated. or is this another VLC at fault kind of thing?

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”