VLC video locks up

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
weybrew
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC video locks up

Postby weybrew » 28 Aug 2022 13:15

This past week, VLC has suddenly begun video freeze (audio continues). This is happening on random videos, and at random times on playback. When this happens none of the normal LAN controls work...I can't stop the video, nor pause playback, nor close VLC. The only action I can take is to uninstall and reinstall. This works until the next time I have the same problem and with the exact symptoms. Oh, and when I do the uninstall I get an error message that VLC is still running and will be closed. And this happens with each uninstall even though there isn't any open VLC window, nor is any VLC icon showing in the system tray. Task Manager also doesn't show VLC open. I am running Win10, and VLC v3.0.17.4. I am a senior and a non-techie and I would welcome any help.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC video locks up

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Aug 2022 08:46

Please open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the playback, and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com if it's too long.

weybrew
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby weybrew » 29 Aug 2022 16:49

Thanks for your reply, Lotesdelere. I just tried running a video and, of course, it ran fine. I'll continue trials until I get a freeze frame and post the log.

weybrew
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby weybrew » 09 Sep 2022 20:57

REPLAY Add'l information... I spoke too soon. VLC just crashed again. Video locked up, audio continued. Same as previously reported. VLC would not respond to any input except OPEN. I ran program DELETE with following remnant search. At the conclusion, VLC was not on any program list, yet the system tray icon remained. And it would open the program...frozen, but open. Now I'm trying to find a way to clean it out so I can re-install. Any help out there, please?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 10 Sep 2022 11:42

We need a messages log. If VLC crashes, then run VLC with this command line:

Code: Select all

vlc.exe --extraintf=logger --verbose=2 --logfile=C:\temp\vlc.log --logmode=text --file-logging

Make sure to have full access rights to the destination path.

weybrew
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby weybrew » 10 Sep 2022 18:10

Thanks for your reply, Lotesdelere. Being a senior non-techie, please explain what this command line will do and why. Also, how do I handle checking and assigning access rights?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 12 Sep 2022 13:59

Run it from a command line prompt window and it will create a messages log file.
Don't use any system folder as the destination but one your have created (e.g., C:\Temp)

weybrew
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby weybrew » 12 Sep 2022 21:51

Ok, friend, I just tried as you instructed. Now VLC isn't locking up, it's giving me a bright pink full screen! I tried another file with the same outcome. The first test file ran fine on Windows Media Player...the second one opened a splash screen and then started the file, audio only. Next, I ran your command line using my home-made file C:\desktop\temp\vlc.log and got the error msg per my screenshot. I did a reboot and tried everything again. This time both VLC and Windows Media Player gave me the pink screen, but this time with audio, I'm trying to sed you the screen shot...https://jumbomail.me/j/PFmVJq_amEW-3qp

weybrew
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby weybrew » 12 Sep 2022 22:18

EDIT of my last post...Ok, friend, I just tried as you instructed. Now VLC isn't locking up, it's giving me a bright pink full screen! I tried another file with the same outcome. The first test file ran fine on Windows Media Player...the second one opened a splash screen and then started the file, audio only. Next, I ran your command line using my home-made file C:\desktop\temp\vlc.log and got the error msg per my screenshot. I did a reboot and tried everything again. This time both VLC and Windows Media Player gave me the pink screen, but this time with audio, I'm trying to sed you the screen shot...https://jumbomail.me/j/PFmVJq_amEW-3qp Now I went back to the linked article and reset the 2 changes I had made. This time the test file ran fine, with none of the earlier problems (!). I don't have a clue what is going on, but I'll continue to monitor VLC and post any wierdness. Regards.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 13 Sep 2022 09:54

Your command prompt is not running from the VLC folder but from C:\Users\Admin
In this case you need to use the full path to VLC.exe, e.g., "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"

weybrew
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby weybrew » 13 Sep 2022 17:13

you need to use the full path to VLC.exe, e.g., "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" Sorry, but I don't understand. I tried opening VLC first, but don't see a way to run the command window from there.
If you can show me how to run the command line correctly, I can reset (again) VLC preferences to the previously linked article and see if the pink windows come back. Or, since VLC seems to be working at the moment, should I just run it for a few days as a test as it is now?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 14 Sep 2022 10:09

I already explained in details in my previous post.
Your command prompt is opening inside the "C:\Users\Admin" folder but VLC.exe is not there. So typing VLC.exe only is not enough, you need to start your command line with the full path to VLC.exe, usually "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" on an x84 machine.
You can still use it as it is now and do a reset later for checking if it helps.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”