Playing DSD (.dsf) files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Ensenada2022
New Cone
New Cone

Playing DSD (.dsf) files

Postby Ensenada2022 » 13 Aug 2022 07:23

Is it possible to play DSD native audio files (no DoP) or pre-processing to flac or other? If so, can anyone provide details about how to do it? My computer is USB connected to an external DAC capable of playing DSD native files.

Thanks

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Playing DSD (.dsf) files

Postby Lotesdelere » 13 Aug 2022 09:47

Looks like VLC 3.0.17.4 can't play DSD (DSF and DFF) files as of today but FFplay and MPV can.

You should create a new feature request ticket on the VLC Trac with your above report and the link to this thread:
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues

Ensenada2022
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ensenada2022 » 14 Aug 2022 23:04

Looks like VLC 3.0.17.4 can't play DSD (DSF and DFF) files as of today but FFplay and MPV can.

You should create a new feature request ticket on the VLC Trac with your above report and the link to this thread:
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues
Thank you for your response... I tried to look into using FFplay and/or MPV but both systems appear even more complicated than Foobar that after fiddling quite a bit with it, did not work at all. It is actually quite disappointing that there is no simple solution to play such an old audio format.

I´ll be happy to send a request ticket with hopes that some day people can have easier access to play such files, I bet the easier it is to play them the more folks would be inclined to use this high resolution format.

Thanks again.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 15 Aug 2022 18:16

Basically, FFplay and MPV are programs using the command line prompt interface:

Code: Select all

ffplay.exe YourFile.dsf

But you can run MPV.exe and a minimalist interface window will popup where you can drag and drop your DSD file.
Also, as you found out, you can use foobar2000 but also XMPlay or AIMP with the BASS DSD plugin.

high resolution format.

Not really a high resolution format, it's just using a higher sampling rate than usual audio files but with only 1 bit. The result is much bigger files but without any noticeable quality improvement.
I bet you can't hear the difference with a regular audio file in a blind test :wink:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”