VLC Media player does not find USB Camera

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
granny
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Media player does not find USB Camera

Postby granny » 12 Jun 2015 16:20

I love the player to play movies. I thought it would be a great program to teach with. I have a microscope with a usb camera attached to it. It is a OptixCam summit K2(made by Hangzhou Toup Tek Phototonics) from microscope.com. I hooked it up to my computer which runs Windows 7 professional 64bit. Windows recognizes it . The proprietary software can run it and shows an image. I installed VLC media player 2.2.1 to try and stream it to everyones computer but it doesn't see it. When I go to open media and then to capture device it is not there. Can anyone tell me what to do?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: VLC Media player does not find USB Camera

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Jun 2015 16:29

Install DirectShow drivers for the camera.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

granny
New Cone
New Cone

Postby granny » 12 Jun 2015 19:39

Sorry to be dense would anyone know where I could find the drivers? Thanks

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Jun 2015 21:09

Somehow I doubt you´ll get an answer here. This is about your camera, not VLC.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

granny
New Cone
New Cone

Postby granny » 12 Jun 2015 21:12

Oh sorry thanks.

EdwinE
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EdwinE » 14 Jun 2015 23:38

Just went to look on the makers site and the direct something something drivers should be on the driver disc that came with the camera. else download them again from the maker's website. remember... google is your friend :D

pol098
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pol098 » 05 Aug 2022 23:01

I've come here from a search, much too late for original poster, but might help others. This is not a driver problem. I have a USB microscope (essentially a close-focussing webcam). I used it successfully with VLC in the past, probably in a laptop computer without a camera. On trying to use it under Win10/64 on a laptop with a camera (single, front), VLC offers a DirectShow capture device and others; DirectShow displays the computer's camera display and ignores the USB microscope (the other options, TV - digital and Desktop, are not relevant). Disabling the camera makes VLC use the microscope as the DirectShow device. Running the Camera program that comes with Windows, clicking the icon to switch from front to rear camera switches between camera and microscope. So, not a USB camera driver issue as the camera works, but some software (including VLC) is unable to handle multiple camera devices.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”