Making VLC The Default Player On OSX

macOS specific usage questions
DennyHayes
New Cone
New Cone

Making VLC The Default Player On OSX

Postby DennyHayes » 03 Feb 2006 23:38

I read a topic here where someone wanted to not have VLC as his default player, which to me is insane, since VLC plays almost everything and Quicktime doesn't. My problem is the reverse, because i want VLC as the default player, and can't seem to do it. I right click on an avi or mpg file, select Get Info, and then select VLC as the default. But as soon as I release the mouse button, Quicktime is the default again. I hate QT, because it doesn't run many files, so how can I make VLC the default and have it stay the default player

djaconil

Postby djaconil » 04 Feb 2006 20:57

It's simple, just tick "Modify All" in the Info window, just after selecting VLC.

ZakZak
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ZakZak » 12 Feb 2006 02:07

It's simple, just tick "Modify All" in the Info window, just after selecting VLC.
I have to agree with the original poster - I choose "VLC" in the drop down and it IMMEDIATELY changes back to QuickTime Player and the "Change All" button remains grayed out.

This is on 10.4.4 in case that has something to do with it...

-Zak

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2006 06:33

anyone have the answer to this?

Postby Guest » 19 Feb 2006 08:03

I got it to work here... After the upgrade to 10.4.5, I tried it again and instead of just immediately changing back to Quicktime, I got an error message. Something about permissions. The file I was trying to change was actually located on a network share, so I copied it to my desktop and tried it there. It worked fine! After that, I could click "Change All". Then, after disconnecting and re-connecting the network share, all of the AVI files showed up with the VLC icon instead of the Quicktime icon. And double-click opens VLC. :)

-Zak

Guest2

Postby Guest2 » 02 Apr 2006 18:22

excuse my n00bness but i don't see a "global preferences" or a "modify all" option anywhere in VLC. can someone be more specific on how to set it as the default player in OSX 10.4.5? and yes, i did search the forums ;)

macishardtouse

Help

Postby macishardtouse » 02 Apr 2006 19:24

I have the same problem as guest2 any help would be appreciated

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 02 Apr 2006 20:36

You 2 don't have to watch out for that in VLC. There is no such option.

Select the file you want to associate with VLC in the Finder, open the information panel (File-menu), choose VLC as default application and click on "Change all...".

Repeat this for all types of files you want to associate.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Guest2

Postby Guest2 » 02 Apr 2006 21:26

hmmm... after reading what you wrote i kinda got it. anyhow, lemme explain this in n00b terms for other fellow n00bs who might be struggling like i was...

find the file (most likely an .avi) that you want to associate with to VLC. right click on it or CTRL+CLICK on it to bring up the menu for that file. select GET INFO. near the bottom is OPEN WITH. hit the drop down menu and select VLC.app. below that is a button that says CHANGE ALL. click it.

DONE!

shloho
New Cone
New Cone

Postby shloho » 08 Mar 2007 02:22

Thanks so much. That was perfect

quote="Fkuehne"]You 2 don't have to watch out for that in VLC. There is no such option.

Select the file you want to associate with VLC in the Finder, open the information panel (File-menu), choose VLC as default application and click on "Change all...".

Repeat this for all types of files you want to associate.[/quote]

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”