FYI: you might need to reinstall VLC to get playback speed changes to work correctly after updating to 3.3.7

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

FYI: you might need to reinstall VLC to get playback speed changes to work correctly after updating to 3.3.7

Postby Dale Vino » 19 May 2022 18:04

After updating to 3.3.7, time stretching was no longer applied when changing playback speed, resulting in a "chipmunk effect" when increasing speed. I tried various things like quitting and restarting the app, rebooting, and trying different files and formats (MP3, AAC, Opus), but what ended up working was deleting the app and then reinstalling. Note that uninstalling the app will delete associated files, like your libraries, so be prepared for that if you encounter this issue. My particular device is an iPhone SE (2016) running iOS 15.5, if that's relevant.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: FYI: you might need to reinstall VLC to get playback speed changes to work correctly after updating to 3.3.7

Postby fkuehne » 19 May 2022 20:47

Did you make sure that the option was actually enabled in settings? In 3.3.7, the use of the option is fixed, so if it was disabled before (note that VLC 3.2 did that automatically on some slower devices), this would explain your experience. With new installations, the option is enabled by default.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Dale Vino
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: FYI: you might need to reinstall VLC to get playback speed changes to work correctly after updating to 3.3.7

Postby Dale Vino » 19 May 2022 21:40

Oh, I see the option you're talking about now. I didn't notice it before. I never interacted with it. It's been time stretching audio the years I've used VLC for iOS until this morning, which was when the update installed, so something in the update flipped it for me. Thanks for the update.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”