VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
malland
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

Postby malland » 07 Apr 2022 21:25

Now on the latest v3.3.3/423. Still the same Apple TV problem of the orange "wait please" screen. Deleting and reinstalling VLC doesn't it make it work; neither does turning the “automatically play next" switch off and then on again. Tiresome.

As I requested above, is there any way of getting the previous VLC version, which worked, back again for installation until this issue is resolved. Not encouraging that @fkuehne cannot replicate the problem.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Apple
Operating System: Windows

Postby yoshiyike » 07 Apr 2022 21:30

@malland i agree if Apple TV version can be taken back to before 3.3 it would be fine. @fkuehne just roll it back to before 3.3 and label it as 3.3.4

Rheinlaender
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and A

Postby Rheinlaender » 07 Apr 2022 22:52

I found out where the problem is. I uninstalled and reinstalled VLC and it ran. Then I adjusted my settings again and it didn't run. Then I tried all the settings one by one: it's the "automatically play next" switch. If this is set to "on" it works, if you set it to "off" nothing plays.

I‘ve had success!

In version 3.3.3. toggling the setting „automatically play next“ and turning off the setting „download covers“ has solved the issue for me. There was no need to delete and reinstall the app. Playing back files from SMB shares is finally working again.

malland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby malland » 07 Apr 2022 23:31

...toggling the setting „automatically play next“ and turning off the setting „download covers“ has solved the issue for me.

"download covers": do you mean "download artwork'? I tried that and it didn't solve the problem.

Rheinlaender
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rheinlaender » 07 Apr 2022 23:38

Yes. That‘s what I meant. Maybe you should try toggling the settings. It‘s definitely working here.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 07 Apr 2022 23:49

@ Rheinleander i just tried the same exact thing with no success. tried playing .mkv .avi and .mp4 and they just flash back to the file directory.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 07 Apr 2022 23:50

If more people would like to join the beta to provide debug logs, PM me and I'll make that happen.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

malland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby malland » 08 Apr 2022 03:13

Yes. That‘s what I meant. Maybe you should try toggling the settings. It‘s definitely working here.
Yes, I did toggle and try both on and off combinations — and that didn't work.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 08 Apr 2022 05:40

i have tried this, i have tried that, i joined in the beta thingy to be able to provide debug logs in hopes of being able to solve this issue. i really dont understand what is going on considering it works for my iphone but not my apple tv. im generally tech savvy but anymore im becoming dumbfounded. other words, i dont really comprehend/understand some or should i say most of the terminology that is used.one on one talking would be much better for me if others are willing.

SubJunk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SubJunk » 08 Apr 2022 10:32

@SubJunk: this should be resolved in 3.3.1 as well.
I confirm this is fixed, and is working better than ever. Thank you!

malland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby malland » 08 Apr 2022 19:51

@fkuehne - I finally got v3.3.1 to work in streaming through Apple TV from my MacBook Pro. I had tried deleting and reinstalling VLC on my Apple TV and had also tried toggling the couple of switches in Settings discussed in recent posts. None of that worked.

What worked was how I logged into the SMB server: previously I had just clicked Login, having User/Password/Port/WORKGROUP saved. Instead of doing that, I entered the log-in information manually: then, after going to the file with my movie on it, the orange "wait please" screen came up momentarily, but then the movie started playing.

I then tried to save the log-in data and press Login, but that didn't work. What I now find is that each time I go to the Connect to Server (SMB) screen, I have to enter the log-in data. So it seems to me that the Save log-in facility is not working correctly.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 08 Apr 2022 19:53

@malland: are you logged-in to iCloud on your Apple TV?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

malland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby malland » 08 Apr 2022 20:17

@malland: are you logged-in to iCloud on your Apple TV?
@fkuehne - My Apple TV is connected to the internet and I download VLC to my Apple TV from the Apple Store. I suppose that means I'm connected to iCloud, doesn't it?

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 08 Apr 2022 20:39

March 24th was the last i was actually able to use VLC on my Apple TV. I have been using it the same exact way for several years now. Next to nothing has changed. I have an external hard drive plugged into a 3-in-one computer that i call my minipooter. lol i have various sharing options allowed to be able to access these files on my Apple TV via VLC app. once again that was till March 25th as of that day i have no longer been able to use VLC on my Apple TV to watch any of my video files. might i add they are in various video formats. (avi, mkv, mp4) How i intend to watch them and the process i go through on my Apple TV for some reason now prevents me from viewing any video file. However, what is even more strange. when i go and attempt the same process using my iPhone 13 i am able to view the video files i have stored on the external that i cannot access via Apple TV. since the falling of Apple TV version of VLC. I have installed other media player apps on my Apple TV and they are working just fine. Plex, Infuse 7, both of them allow me to use my Apple TV like i was with VLC. As stated by myself and others. when trying to use VLC on Apple TV to view videos. since update 3.3 all it does is show an orange screen with "please wait" and flash back to the directory or the orange screen just stays there. in my experience, it all depends on the extension of the file that you play.

malland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby malland » 08 Apr 2022 20:44

...in my experience, it all depends on the extension of the file that you play.
I haven't experienced any difference depending on the extension of the video that is played. As stated in my post above, it was how I logged into the SMB server that made a difference, in the solution I found.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 08 Apr 2022 20:49

@mailand: no, the question is whether you are logged-in to iCloud on your Apple TV. You can decide not to, on setup.

For those on the beta: please try the build that I just released. Does it fix the SMB problem for you?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

malland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby malland » 08 Apr 2022 20:53

@mailand: no, the question is whether you are logged-in to iCloud on your Apple TV. You can decide not to, on setup...
@fkuehne - Sorry for my ignorance in this. Looking at the Settings on my AppleTV, I now see that I am, indeed, signed into iCloud.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 08 Apr 2022 21:22

@fkuehne the new beta build does NOT fix the SMB issue.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 08 Apr 2022 21:25

@yoshiyike: then, I need new logs with the new beta, please.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 08 Apr 2022 21:30

@fkuehne: already sent

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 09 Apr 2022 18:57

anybody else join in on the beta and send in the logs and notice "0xc0000022" within the logs?

ChemEngr79
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ChemEngr79 » 10 Apr 2022 01:22

I could have a 30second skip forward swipe right coupled with a 10 second skip back swipe left on the last version. I don’t see a way to configure this on the new version. Am I missing something?

crevard
New Cone
New Cone

Postby crevard » 11 Apr 2022 10:45

Hi,
new to the forum. Same issue as some of us for the Apple TV box seeing but not reading NAS files. @ fkuehne: I just sent you a PM, happy to help for beta testing and logs sharing

djshazzychef
New Cone
New Cone

Postby djshazzychef » 11 Apr 2022 21:57

@fkuehne -

What worked was how I logged into the SMB server: previously I had just clicked Login, having User/Password/Port/WORKGROUP saved. Instead of doing that, I entered the log-in information manually: then, after going to the file with my movie on it, the orange "wait please" screen came up momentarily, but then the movie started playing.
This worked for me as well. In previous versions I did not enter login credentials on the "Connect to Server" screen, but would sometimes be prompted to enter them on the User login screen immediately after. After latest the update logging into WORKGROUP with blank User/Password/Port would allow only me to browse files but not play them. By manually entering the my User/Password, and leaving Port blank when logging into WORKGROUP, I am now allowed to play my files. It does prompt me to re-enter my login credentials every time.

Bunbury
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bunbury » 12 Apr 2022 03:26

In case this helps someone with the NAS being seen but not read:
I came to the conclusion that the reinstall instead of upgrade solution that first worked for me was because the clean reinstall default is for "autoplay on" which I had always had turned off before and was remembered as such when just an update was performed. I similarly always had the "cover art download off". This combination has fixed the problem for me and all my boxes see and play the files, and then see the files but reproducibly hang if autoplay is turned off. I had also previously experienced the known issue in older versions with selecting an identified NAS usually requiring rentry of user and password etc despite having previously been saved. However for me , the "Connect to generic" has always stored my saved SMB settings and connects without having to enter user name etc everytime. My setup also only requires NAS user name and password with workgroup and port left at default. So if not already tried, I suggest "Autoplay On", "Download covers off" and then connect to NAS using "Generic Connection" ... it's worth a try perhaps! I would also remind that it's really easy for the butterfingered amongst us to flip toggles accidentally with that touchpad remote. Thanks again Felix for all your hard work!

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”