VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
jleaves
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

Postby jleaves » 31 Mar 2022 06:01

@jleaves: which language do you try to run?
@fkuehne

I'm using Chinese (simplified). Tested switching to French and Chinese (traditional) and everything worked fine. So this bug seems only affect Chinese (simplified).

Image: Chinese (traditional), works fine

Image: French, works fine

Image: Chinese (simplified), translation broken

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 31 Mar 2022 17:43

@jleaves: interesting, we will take a look. This is limited to the Settings screen, correct?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 31 Mar 2022 17:45

Hello,

I'll take a look at the Apple TV problem next week. Currently, I do not have a device next to me, just the simulator and there it works.

For the colorspace issue, this is resolved in 3.3.2 that was released both for Apple TV and iDevices today.

@dryluck: can you share a RTSP URL with me, maybe via PM?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Apple
Operating System: Windows

Postby yoshiyike » 31 Mar 2022 18:44

@fkuehne

thanks for the information. i however did attempt VLC on my apple tv again with no success. the latest version, the latest os and so on fyi and it continues to flash an orange screen and go back to the directory.

jleaves
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jleaves » 01 Apr 2022 03:43

@jleaves: interesting, we will take a look. This is limited to the Settings screen, correct?
As far as I can tell, yes. Only affects Settings screen.

ChemEngr79
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ChemEngr79 » 01 Apr 2022 05:49

I have noticed that my default playback speed, which is set to 1.25 in settings, is not being employed on either the iPhone or iPad versions of 3.30. It is defaulting to actually running 1.00.

erikson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby erikson » 01 Apr 2022 08:35

Hello,

I'll take a look at the Apple TV problem next week. Currently, I do not have a device next to me, just the simulator and there it works.
If you need assistance with beta testing, let me know, I'd be happy to help.

stevenme
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevenme » 01 Apr 2022 16:41

I've also had the VLC 3.3 issue on AppleTV / SMB local server. I updated to vlc 3.3.1, rebooted the appleTV 4k, and as before, can provide server login credentials, navigate the local network to the file names, but when I try to play a media file it stays on the orange "please wait" screen. With 3.3.0 I had tried deleting and reinstalling VLC but that didn't fix the issue for me. So I'd say it's still broken.
I've spent a couple hours trying to get this to work with no progress (VLC Apple TV version 3.3.2, TVOS 15.4.1). I've uninstalled/installed VLC, turned Mac File Sharing off/on but although I can browse the videos on the Mac file system when I try to play any of them I get the "Please wait" screen. I've always been able to use VLC on Apple TV to play videos on my Mac over SMB but with version 3.3.x this no longer works. I'd really like to get this functionality back, let me know if there's anyway I can help debug the issue (logs, etc). Thanks,

Steve

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 02 Apr 2022 20:05

before VLC Apple tv version 3.3.x i was able to stream my digital movies via local network via SMB to my NAS. ever since 3.3.x for Apple TV there has been two updates. 3.3.1 and 3.3.2. neither have seemed to have fixed the issue that prevents me from streaming my movies via local network via SMB to my NAS. Apple itself has also had two updates which i have installed as well. nothing has helped. for more than a week now i have been using infuse 7 the way i used to use VLC for the fact that i cannot use VLC on my Apple TV. now if i try on my iphone to use VLC the same way i intend to on my apple tv i can with no problem. VIA IPHONE* VLC>NETWORK>FILESERVERS(NAME)>SMB authentication>user>password>LOGIN then i am able to view/play my files. infuse 7 doesnt have the file coverage that VLC has though. :(

bubu?
Developer
Developer
Operating System: macOS, iOS

Postby bubu? » 03 Apr 2022 11:16

Thank you for the reports, we are looking into the SMB issue with Apple TV devices.
Soomin Lee - bubu

gmd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gmd » 04 Apr 2022 00:24

New to VLC on Apple TV and forum; installed VLC3.3 on Apple TV running tvOS 15.4 on a smart TV. How can I access files on a memory stick plugged into the smart TV?
You can't, that is not how it works, your TV will play files direct from the USB Stick, but I have never seen a TV that was able to share the files out to the network from a USB Stick. This would require it to run a server, network shares settings up, authentication etc etc. If you want to play the files you will need to put them on network accessible storage.
Thanks for your help; much appreciated.

dcornfel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dcornfel » 04 Apr 2022 11:35

Hello,

A previous post noted that upgrade to 3.3 resulted in VLC on iOS failing to list UPnP servers under File Servers.
A reply noted this would be fixed in 3.3.1
My iPhone (12 mini running 14.6) and iPad (running 14.8.1) updated to VLC version 3.3.2 yesterday but this version no longer lists the MediaServer on my Synology DS218+ running DSM6.2.4.

VLC 3.0.8 on my MacBook Pro does list this server and will display folders and play content through the home network, so I don't think the problem is with MediaServer on Synology.

Is there a setting I need to change in VLC 3.3.2 for iPad/iPhone to make this re-appear or is this a still known bug that is being worked on?

Many kind regards,

Dan

malland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby malland » 06 Apr 2022 20:40

Same problem here: trying to stream from MacOS 11.6.5 to Apple TV with VLC 332.2(422) I can access the video files with SMB, but when I click to stream them, like others above, I get an orange screen with a "wait please" message.

This started after upgrading to the current version of VLC. As there has been no solution to this, would it be possible to provide access to the previous version of VLC for Apple TV, which worked perfectly? Unfortunately, there is only the current 3.3.2 version for download on the Apple Store.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 07 Apr 2022 07:17

i just checked and noticed yet another update for VLC. this time 3.3.3. i assumed it would have fixed the TVOS streaming SMB to NAS or whatever its called. but NO it is still the same thing. flash the orange screen then back to the directory and so on. nearly two weeks now with no solution. im sure its the downloads thing to the tvios that is doing it. if i knew how to write the coding id do it. sadly my epilepsy has my mind so messed up at times i can hardly remember what day it is.

erikson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby erikson » 07 Apr 2022 07:31

Thank you for the reports, we are looking into the SMB issue with Apple TV devices.
Already the third update from 3.3, but the Apple TV unfortunately still plays nothing.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 07 Apr 2022 13:09

Regarding the SMB server issue on Apple TV, we saw multiple reports that deleting and re-installing the app fixes it (which is weird to say the very least). On my Apple TV, I cannot reproduce the problem both with SMBv1 and SMBv2 servers.

Regarding UPnP, we limited support to servers running on IPv4 for now as we were facing a major issue with a German set-top box that provides both IPv4 and IPv6 breaking all the things. This results in UPnP on IPv6-only networks not show, which should affect a very small amount of users only.

Regarding default playback speed, I'll take a look. That's odd. Same for the missing Chinese translation in the Settings screen.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 07 Apr 2022 15:11

then i am among that small amount of users. i have tried multiple different externals (smb's) many many different settings, and a variety of computers, along with the obvious re-installing of the app and yet it acts the same it has by doing the screen flash instead of playing my media.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 07 Apr 2022 15:14

@yoshiyike: careful, SMB works regardless of IPv4 or IPv6. It should always work. I see your reports and yet it works here regardless what I do, which is odd. I'll add a way to retrieve the debug log from the Apple TV in the next update so we can find out why it fails and fix it.

Unrelated:
default playback speed setting and settings screen displayed in English instead of Chinese when run in China (but in Chinese in the rest of the world): fixed for the next update.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 07 Apr 2022 15:37

@fkuehne i am able to use VLC on my iphone 13 the exact way i intend to on my apple tv yet i am unable to. the same exact device that holds all of my videos and everything. the same exact network. i have selected different formats of videos on my phone and they all play via SMB just perfect. video, audio, everything works as it should. but when i go to my apple tv and attempt to play the exact same files i just played on my phone, depending on the extension. it will either flash back to the directory. or sit on an orange "please wait" screen with the file name and extension displayed. if there was a better way for me to explain this to possibly help with any troubleshooting, please let me know. i rely on vlc and not having it..... well.....sucks!

edit: let me try to explain some more to possibly help with troubleshooting. when it comes to my local network sharing i do not have a password set, just to make it easier. so what i do is i select VLC to open the app. then select my local network, then i choose my SMB where all of my files are, thats when it asks for port, server, password, but all i have to do is hit "connect" then i get a pop up asking for SMB authentication required. this is where i would have to put my username and password in, if i had it set up. instead, i just hit "Login" and i have my file folders show up. since i am doing this with my phone step by step so i can explain as i do it im going to select a movie, and it begins to play. now, if i do the same exact steps on my apple tv everything is the exact same except instead of a movie playing it will flash an orange screen or stick on the orange screen. i hope this helps and i appreciate all of your efforts.

erikson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby erikson » 07 Apr 2022 16:20

Regarding the SMB server issue on Apple TV, we saw multiple reports that deleting and re-installing the app fixes it (which is weird to say the very least). On my Apple TV, I cannot reproduce the problem both with SMBv1 and SMBv2 servers.
I found out where the problem is. I uninstalled and reinstalled VLC and it ran. Then I adjusted my settings again and it didn't run. Then I tried all the settings one by one: it's the "automatically play next" switch. If this is set to "on" it works, if you set it to "off" nothing plays.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 07 Apr 2022 16:30

I found out where the problem is. I uninstalled and reinstalled VLC and it ran. Then I adjusted my settings again and it didn't run. Then I tried all the settings one by one: it's the "automatically play next" switch. If this is set to "on" it works, if you set it to "off" nothing plays.
mine was already set to "on" and it didnt work. i tried toggling it to "off" and playing a video.... nothing happened. then i tried turning it back "on" and still the same.

erikson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby erikson » 07 Apr 2022 16:42

Now that I can successfully play videos again, I noticed another little thing about the Apple TV: in the "Playback" menu, the display is cut off on the right. My display setting is German, maybe this info is still helpful for that.

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 07 Apr 2022 17:03

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qLKPV5 ... sp=sharing i dont know if this will get me in trouble or not. i figure a visual will help and this is the only way i know how to do it. i just went through and matched all my settings on my apple tv with my iphone. now, it will play on my iphone and has played on my iphone. even after matching the settings between the two i can still not get any files to play on my apple tv.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 07 Apr 2022 18:24

@yoshiyike: what happens if you select anonymous login at the login step to prevent the additional dialog from appearing?

@erikson: indeed. I'll try to fix the layout.

Would you guys be interested in installing a beta of VLC for Apple TV that allows you to share debug logs with us? If yes, PM me and I'll share a link.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yoshiyike » 07 Apr 2022 20:38

this way others will see to reply to fkuehne. when i do the anonymous login it just allows me to skip the additional smb authentication dialog box. other than that, VLC acts the same. orange screen blink or freeze. depending on the file extension.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”