VL Sub 0.11.1 lock up.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
pescadordetrucha
New Cone
New Cone

VL Sub 0.11.1 lock up.

Postby pescadordetrucha » 29 Aug 2021 15:55

When searching for subtitles, program functions normal, shows the complete green bar, but continues to search indefinitely, never reaching "Research complete". However, the program functioned perfectly before. The only changes done to the computer is 1. Upgrading from 3.0.12 Vetinari to 3.0.16 Vetinari, and 2. Windows 10 update(s).

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: VL Sub 0.11.1 lock up.

Postby Hitchhiker » 30 Aug 2021 16:15

I don't have a problem with it as per the screenshot.

(click to enlarge)

Try resetting prefs to see if it helps: https://wiki.videolan.org/VSG:ResetPrefs

If that doesn't help, please post the movie title you're searching for.

pescadordetrucha
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pescadordetrucha » 05 Sep 2021 17:25

Your screenshot is exactly what I'm used to seeing up to, I suspect, the last Windows 10 update, which was approximately 4 weeks ago. Since then, what I see is Searching Subtitles: (solid green bar), and then it just sits there waiting for something. It does not time out; I just get bored waiting. It makes no difference what movie I'm searching for it ends up the same. I have upgraded vls with the same results

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 05 Sep 2021 20:38

Your screenshot is exactly what I'm used to seeing up to, I suspect, the last Windows 10 update, which was approximately 4 weeks ago. Since then, what I see is Searching Subtitles: (solid green bar), and then it just sits there waiting for something. It does not time out; I just get bored waiting. It makes no difference what movie I'm searching for it ends up the same. I have upgraded vls with the same results

An alternative to VLsub is Subscene: https://subscene.com/
It's not so convenient as VLsub, but the site does contain most .srt subtitle files.

I'm still on Windows 8.1 after not jumping on the 'free update to Windows 10' bandwagon so I can't check out what you mentioned about the problem being due to a recent W10 update, but you might be right.

Have you installed the latest youtube.luac update released a couple of days ago on September 4? See this post for details:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=158091

runisco
New Cone
New Cone

Postby runisco » 06 Sep 2021 14:47

Same problem for me. And reseting the prefs did nothing.

I enabled the debug, which simply states that the connection to opensubtitles was succesful. Yet no subs show up no matter how blockbuster-y the show or movie is.

runisco
New Cone
New Cone

Postby runisco » 06 Sep 2021 14:56

When searching for subtitles, program functions normal, shows the complete green bar, but continues to search indefinitely, never reaching "Research complete". However, the program functioned perfectly before. The only changes done to the computer is 1. Upgrading from 3.0.12 Vetinari to 3.0.16 Vetinari, and 2. Windows 10 update(s).
Did you edit your hosts file a while back when vls sub has issues with the api adress?
If you did, try commenting out that line. That fixed the problem for me just now.

pescadordetrucha
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pescadordetrucha » 07 Sep 2021 21:14

Is anybody experiencing the same problem with, I'm sure, as a result of Windows 10 update(s). It is like Sub 0.11.1 cannot complete the final step, which is "search results". I can download srt files directly from opensubtitles.org

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 08 Sep 2021 07:55

I noticed in a Reddit thread yesterday that a user by the name of sleazytrex also purported to be having problems with VLsub. He (or she) uploaded an image of VLsub running a search. Here's the link to the image: https://www.reddit.com/r/VLC/comments/4 ... be_videos/

It's obvious to me what the problem is in this particular case which is that the user has included items which aren't relevant to a Name search, namely 1080p, Blu-ray, x264, AAC etc., etc. A Name search refers to the name of the movie only. For example, "The Wheel of Time", but not what the format is and whether it's a DVD or a Blu-ray etc. So I'm wondering if that's what you're doing?

lefang
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lefang » 25 Mar 2022 08:12

check if the site that provides subs, is banned from your country!! its an obvious matter and start from there! if you want, use a VPN to overcome this restriction! that worked for me (with the same problem that you describe here).

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”