fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

Postby fkuehne » 21 Mar 2022 13:00

Hello,

Today, we released a major update for iOS, iPadOS and tvOS. You can find most of the high level changes here.

This update also addresses the most discussed bugs on this forum:
  • SMB user credentials storage on Apple TV
  • "storage limit reached"
  • support for NFS and SFTP
  • downloads from SMB shares (as well as any other share)
  • certain files not showing on iPhone or iPad
Please let us know how you like the update and report any bugs you might find!
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

pineapplefirestorm
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3.3 for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV

Postby pineapplefirestorm » 21 Mar 2022 15:03

Hello! It looks like the shuffle/repeat options don't appear on the video player interface if you launch a video in landscape mode.

A workaround I found is to either launch the video starting with portrait mode, or to switch it from landscape>portrait>landscape.

EDIT: I'm using an iPhone XR for the record.

WVTechie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby WVTechie » 22 Mar 2022 01:00

I have installed VLC 3.3 on an Apple TV. I can use it to connect to a MacBook Air via sftp. I see the files and directories in my home folder. However the videos I want to play are on an external drive connected to the MacBook. VLC doesn't seem to understand Finder aliases and apparently won't follow Unix symbolic links to directories on the external drive. How do i access these files?

kraftyman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby kraftyman » 22 Mar 2022 06:20

Hi guys.

I'm sorry... I tested the update.
Album artwork support for FLAC or MP3 files was not included in v3.

I see no improvements for the music player enthusiasts and those waiting for something to be on par with iTunes/Apple Music.
Wasn't this this previously written as to be expected for this release? It was replied in threads that this was going to feature this release - correct me whether I am wrong.

I hate iTunes dependency on Apple Music. Really do.

erikson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby erikson » 22 Mar 2022 09:54

I have installed the update to version 3.3 on my Apple TV HD with TVOS 15.4. The connection via SMB to my NAS works without problems. However, I can no longer play any media, neither videos nor music can be started. The same update 3.3 on my iPad and iPhone works without problems.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 22 Mar 2022 10:10

Thanks a lot for all your constructive feedback!

@kraftyman: can you try to reset your media library? This should make the artwork appear.

@pineapplefirestorm: nice, reproduced. We'll fix that.

@WVTechie: I need to try myself, not sure.

@erikson: so on Apple TV, you can browse the folders with SMB, but then? what happens if you try to play something?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

erikson
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby erikson » 22 Mar 2022 11:26

Exactly, on AppleTV I can browse through the folders via SMB without any problems, but when I want to play something the screen briefly turns orange and "Please wait" appears, then the directory where the media is located is displayed again.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 22 Mar 2022 11:29

that is bad. Thanks. I'll take a look.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

kraftyman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby kraftyman » 22 Mar 2022 18:18

@kraftyman: can you try to reset your media library? This should make the artwork appear.

Hi. Excuse my ignorance. By resetting media library, what is the procedure?
In VLC/ATV, I removed the share and re-added it. Before this, from the computer, I turned off the share and back on.
In the app configuration, I did not find any options to explicitly reset library.
How can I achieve that?

Thanks!

Warrex
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Warrex » 22 Mar 2022 19:18

Thank you for putting all the work into to iOS/tvOS version! This could have been a killer release.

Unfortunately there seem to be quite a few problems from reading this thread and I got my own:

1. Accessing a FRITZ!Mediaserver (UPnP) does not work for me. In the iOS version it shows up but when trying to browse the content I just get the message "Control&ObjectID=0". Reinstalling the app did not help (I allowed it to access my network when iOS asked) and on tvOS the UPnP-Server does not show up at all for me. I got no such problems when using "Infuse".

2. Accessing a SMB server works and playing files works too but I do not understand how downloading them is implemented. I can click the download button next to the file and the file strangely shows up in the video tab right away although it is obviously not downloaded yet.

Were do I see how much of the file is downloaded or when the download is complete? Do I have to keep VLC in the foreground and do I need to prevent my iPhone from going to sleep? Will the download button be removed for already downloaded files?

sharkcellar
New Cone
New Cone

Can’t rename Network Streams anymore

Postby sharkcellar » 22 Mar 2022 21:55

I greatly appreciate the update. However, I can no longer rename the network streams I’ve collected. I used to be able to hold on the name to get the rename option, but all it does now is give me the Copy option, which is useless to me.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 23 Mar 2022 13:53

@kraftyman: sorry, I assumed you were talking about the local media library on iPhone or iPad. On Apple TV, we do not have artwork for media accessed from remote servers such as SMB yet. If accessed through UPnP and provided by the server, it will show.

@warrex:
1) A bug with UPnP servers allowing connections via IPv6. Workaround is to disable IPv6 on your local network or wait for the update next week.
2) It will show in the Video tab as soon as the download is complete. You can see progress in "Downloads" section of the Network tab. You need to keep VLC in the foreground for the download to work. It will automatically keep your device's screen active as long as the download runs. You can infinitely download the same file - the download button will always show (we do not track where your media comes from or what it is, so there is no way to tell whether you already have a file stored or not).

@sharkcellar:
On iOS in the Open Network Stream section?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Warrex
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Warrex » 23 Mar 2022 17:21

2) It will show in the Video tab as soon as the download is complete. You can see progress in "Downloads" section of the Network tab. You need to keep VLC in the foreground for the download to work. It will automatically keep your device's screen active as long as the download runs. You can infinitely download the same file - the download button will always show (we do not track where your media comes from or what it is, so there is no way to tell whether you already have a file stored or not).
Again: The file shows up right away before the download is complete.

Now I saw that the download indeed shows up under "Downloads" which IMHO is bad UX as you cannot stay on your file server and you have to click multiple instances back to get to this part of the network tab and even then it suprised me to find the download there as I thought this "Downloads" section was only for direct downloads from a URL. Also what appears to be a progess bar does not work and I cannot see any information about completed downloads. Maybe a "Downloads" tab is the way to go or at least download buttons that turn into circle progess bars after having started the download like in the App Store.

melonenbaer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby melonenbaer » 23 Mar 2022 17:26

Hi. I have the same problem with Apple TV 4k, Qnap NAS and smb. VLC shows all files but does not play any media. Please help! Everything worked fine before updating to 3.3.0.

sharkcellar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sharkcellar » 23 Mar 2022 17:53

@fkuehne Yes, Network>Open Network Stream

I may be an outlier in the way that I use VLC because I use it primarily to stream internet radio stations (remember those?) since I could no longer use TuneIn to do it with. Everything has been great until this recent update where I can no longer rename the URLs I paste in.

SBA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SBA » 23 Mar 2022 23:08

1. Accessing a FRITZ!Mediaserver (UPnP) does not work for me. In the iOS version it shows up but when trying to browse the content I just get the message "Control&ObjectID=0". Reinstalling the app did not help (I allowed it to access my network when iOS asked) and on tvOS the UPnP-Server does not show up at all for me. I got no such problems when using "Infuse".
Yes, known issue, please also look here https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=159453

Bunbury
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bunbury » 24 Mar 2022 03:22

New to forum - apologies if I'm not doing this right. I have had the same experience as Erikson with a 64GB Apple TV (A1625) trying to play m4a, mkv and mp4 files from a USB drive attached to an ASUS RT-AC68U router. All was previously working on the device when running the last versions of the OS and VLC. Updating to OS 15.4 did not resolve the issue. VLC is pretty much the only App I use device for, so was wondering if there is a way to revert back (perhaps using testflight)? I'd also be happy to beta test any solutions if that's helpful. Thanks for all the hard work!

Rory
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Rory » 24 Mar 2022 04:01

Exactly, on AppleTV I can browse through the folders via SMB without any problems, but when I want to play something the screen briefly turns orange and "Please wait" appears, then the directory where the media is located is displayed again.
I had this same issue. I was able to get it fixed. But I'm doing SMB off a mac mini. I first deleted the app on my Apple TV and downloading again and then me turning off file sharing on my mini a few times. And finally it's been fine for the last 24 hours * knock on wood

Bunbury
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bunbury » 24 Mar 2022 21:24

I had this same issue. I was able to get it fixed. But I'm doing SMB off a mac mini. I first deleted the app on my Apple TV and downloading again and then me turning off file sharing on my mini a few times. And finally it's been fine for the last 24 hours * knock on wood

Big thanks Rory, and thanks again to Felix for all the hard work!

I uninstalled app, restarted the AppleTV and "clean" installed VLC 3.3 on two older AppleTV's and an AppleTV 4K. All are currently initiating playback of RT-AC68U router/usb drive SMB sourced media files correctly.

Fauntrychop
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fauntrychop » 24 Mar 2022 22:49

Also new to forum and having the same issue: can’t navigate the folders of my router connected drive via ftp on an AppleTV. No problem with the previous version, no problem with iPhone or iPad app. Every time I enter the drive root, it directly plays the first file instead of showing me the folder structure. So far I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app, deleted and created the ftp connection, but no luck. Thanks for the help!

tokra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tokra » 25 Mar 2022 00:47

Same issue as erikson here. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and that made it work again. However I changed a settings afterwards (I believe it was Deinterlacing which showed no entry and set it to automatic) and after that no file would start playing anymore again, just the same way erikson described. Uninstalled and reinstalled again and it is working for now. Hopefully this helps with debugging.

kraftyman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby kraftyman » 25 Mar 2022 02:59

@kraftyman: sorry, I assumed you were talking about the local media library on iPhone or iPad. On Apple TV, we do not have artwork for media accessed from remote servers such as SMB yet. If accessed through UPnP and provided by the server, it will show.
I have no idea on how this takes place. Is there any tutorial?
Do I have to have the VLC-Windows opened up for this to work?
I really can't find a way. I've read some Mac tutorials on the net but nothing works.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 25 Mar 2022 16:01

@sharkcellar: Fixed in 3.3.1 that will appear on Monday.

@Warrex: this needs improvements indeed exactly in the way you describe.

Thanks all for the details regarding media browsing on Apple TV. We will further investigate that next week.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

gmd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gmd » 25 Mar 2022 23:00

New to VLC on Apple TV and forum; installed VLC3.3 on Apple TV running tvOS 15.4 on a smart TV. How can I access files on a memory stick plugged into the smart TV?

yoshiyike
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Apple
Operating System: Windows

Postby yoshiyike » 26 Mar 2022 01:15

Last night i was using VLC like i have for years. Home Network Stream my movies that i have have been digitizing forever from an external that is plugged into a computer, and stream it to my Apple TV. (SMB to my NAS) Once again, that was last night. Today i tried to do the exact same thing and all it would do is allow me to browse the files/movies and when i select one the screen would turn orange and then go back to the file. i checked all of my "current os" and noticed that all of my apple devices had an update so i ran them. then tried it all again with still no success. eventually i uninstalled VLC and reinstalled. yielding no success. yet with my iPhone 13 using VLC i am able to stream my videos just fine. (SMB to my NAS) i eventually found my way here and thought i would share what i have witnessed to hopefully find a solution. so to sum this up as quickly and simply as possible. (SMB to my NAS)via VLC works on my iphone 13 but not on my apple tv despite EVERYTHING being completely up to date.
Last edited by yoshiyike on 26 Mar 2022 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”