Random ugly fat gray illegible subtitles (Pride and Glory)

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Random ugly fat gray illegible subtitles (Pride and Glory)

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Apr 2019 11:59

If you just launch the movie, but activate the subtitles in the VLC subtitle menu, without going in the DVD menu to select subtiltes, does it work?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

DVR
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DVR » 03 Apr 2020 21:57

Here is the fix for blurry, gray subtitles in VLC. Go to Tools/preferences and check "All" radio button in left bottom corner. Click on the arraow at the left side of "Input/Codecs" menu to make "Subtitle Codec" visible. Click on the arrow at the left of "Subtitle Codecs". Click on "VBI & Teletext". In the right side pane check "Opacity". Click "Save" button in bottom of pane. Restart VLC

dottore73
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dottore73 » 23 Jul 2021 23:43

thanks to all who have struggled with this problem and for the many helpful posts.

I see the same problem with VLC 3.0.14 on MacOS 10.14.6.

I found this simple sequence to get VLC to display clear, readable subtitles. I still can't control the color, font, etc. but at least the subtitles are readable.

After launching VLC and playing a DVD and noting that subtitles are fuzzy (however you got there, and there are many ways), do the following
1) pause the movie
2) Click Subtitles->Subtitle Track->disable
3) Click Playback->Title->DVD menu (which will bring you back to the DVD's menu in the main video display window).
4) Using that menu enable subtitles. This may vary from DVD to DVD because it is the DVD's menu, not VLC's menu. For example, in my DVD I would click Languages->Subtitles English for the Hard of Hearing
5) return to the main menu using the DVD's menu (in this DVD, I would click Main Menu)
6) restart playback and PRESTO the subtitles should be clear.

At least this worked for me. Can't promise it will work for everyone.

The key seems to be to disable subtitles in VLC's menu, which seems to reset something, then re-enable subtitles using the DVD's menu. This is consistent with what some others have posted and it is thanks to their posts that I found a fix.

I believe I can avoid this problem altogether if I NEVER enable subtitles using VLC's menu, but we'll see how it goes.

good luck to all.

BTW though I would love to see this fixed, I understand it would take some volunteer many hours to fix it and I consider this an acceptable work around.

NoxFerocia
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NoxFerocia » 15 Nov 2021 10:29

Like many others I still seeing this issue with WB authored discs, but I have some additional info...

in addition to the grey shadows of the subtitles, I experienced problems chanigng subtitle langues (from VLC) as well. It also took the extra step of setting a different language then going through the DVD menus to set the correct language (which then showed up normally.

an additional facet I discovered was that ripping just the main movie to ISO for archiving completely removed the problems experienced by VLC... which points to a source cause

if anyone tackles this code issue, I suspect the problem stems from either malformed or missing defaults being pushed by the menu system, or preroll inserts. VLC may be either trying to honor them and not updating mid stream (more likely), or not filling in with preset defaults (most hardware players just use their own defaults regardless, ignoring any disc specified colors).

MickM
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: macOS

Postby MickM » 11 Jan 2022 22:57

These ugly looking subtitles have been perhaps my biggest issue with VLC for years. I have many movies that I've ripped where subtitles have been professionally burned into the movie itself and, obviously, those look great. However, when the subtitle tracks are selectable the font they come up in looks, well, disgusting. They're like chunky 5x7 dot matrix things with an equally ugly outline. VLC has options to set the subtitle font and size and, as near as I can tell, nothing about changing those options actually does anything at all. It would be good if this long standing problem could get fixed!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Jan 2022 16:28

Changing font size is for textual subtitles. DVD subtitles are images, not text. And yes, they are at SD resolutions; that's DVD resolution.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”