Why can't VLC do splitscreen ?

macOS specific usage questions
3e3Zt%&Y
New Cone
New Cone

Why can't VLC do splitscreen ?

Postby 3e3Zt%&Y » 17 Feb 2020 18:40

Hi

Im wondering here, why does VLC not support the OSX split screen feature? I use this feature like A lot, i'm using a giant 43inch 4K screen, where i split up what i usually do, like watching a movie and browsing etc etc... But can't do that with VLC, since the split screen feature is not available ? Any reason why it hasen't been developed ? And will it come at some point ?

Regards

Thomas

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Re: Why can't VLC do splitscreen ?

Postby dfuhrmann » 17 Feb 2020 21:21

It is available.

To use it, please first go to the video section in setting and enable "native fullscreen mode". After restart, you can use VLC together will all other split screen and fullscreen features.

3e3Zt%&Y
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 3e3Zt%&Y » 18 Feb 2020 00:48

Oh nice, thanks for reply :)

3e3Zt%&Y
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 3e3Zt%&Y » 01 Mar 2020 06:45

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me what the difference is since after enabling that it can do splitscreen, and before it coulden't?

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 08 Mar 2020 16:04

VLC supports two fullscreen modes: the macOS native fullscreen and our own implementation.
The native fullscreen does not support some special features, yet (you can see some of them getting greyed out in the setting panel, once you enable native fullscreen mode). Therefore this is not active by default.

However, this situation may potentially change in the next major version.

vlp007
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlp007 » 24 Nov 2021 15:28

Dears,

i found your tip, but i can not make it to work. I have checked the "native fullscreen mode" checkbox
(found in the Menu: VLC Media Player > Preferences... > under the "Video" tab > section FullScreen Settings)

then i clicked "Save" and closed & restarted the VLC app

then went to:
File > Advanced Open File... > under the "File" tab > i have Browsed... the 1st video file

then a bit lower still on the on the same tab i checked the checkbox called Play another media synchronously and clicked "Choose..." and selected 2nd video file.

then i clicked "Open".

What happens after was: showing the VLC Player window, right on the Playlist section was shown and only one line of the 1st selected video was there. Then, two or three seconds the Playlist window was shown like that, and then it reseted the time counter to 00:00 itself, nothing else. No play screen of the video was shown (neither one of the videos, neither playing both of them one next to each other).

Could you please advice me, how to make it work? Perhaps something has changed since then. Thank you in advance

i have:

Code: Select all

macOS Big Sur - Version 11.6 (20G165) VLC - Version 3.0.16 Vetinari (Intel 64bit)

Kind Regards,

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”