Install VLC for W10 - no .exe file

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
eager
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Install VLC for W10 - no .exe file

Postby eager » 06 Nov 2021 16:44

Hi, I downloaded the most recent "official" VLC Media Player to W10. It downloaded with the installer. I clicked on one of the files and it displayed unzipping all the files. But, when I open the W10 Start list of programs, VLC is not listed. When I conduct a Start> Search for VLV finds nothing. I do see many sub-folders in the sub-folder I created/named for VLC on the hard drive under Programs(x86) but no .exe. How do I launch VLC so I can drag it onto the W10 desktop screen and pin it to the taskbar? Thank you.

PhillCrapidy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Install VLC for W10 - no .exe file

Postby PhillCrapidy » 06 Nov 2021 17:00

So first we would want to see if you do in fact have vlc installed. There are various ways you could do this but the quickest and easiest way would be to search for vlc. You can right click on the windows start menu and select "apps and features" and check there as well.
You could also try and check to see what it is that you downloaded if it appears you have not installed VLC. You could do this by checking your downloads. In chrome the shortcut key for this would be ctl+J.

You should be able to download the .exe by visiting:
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

eager
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eager » 06 Nov 2021 17:16

I have downloaded many sub-folders which appear on the hard drive under the folder I named VLC. But. none have the .exe extension, It then said it was extracting all the files. But VLC does not appear under Apps (tab) in the W10 Start < Search Thanks.

PhillCrapidy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PhillCrapidy » 06 Nov 2021 17:22

I'd try downloading and running again.

eager
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eager » 06 Nov 2021 17:26

Hi Phil, Got it. The 1st download was with an installer not the .exe Googling it.
Your link took me directly to t he 64-bit .exe
Thank you!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”