VLC Media Player (Convert CDA to MP3)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC Media Player (Convert CDA to MP3)

Postby Pallas_L » 28 May 2021 18:12

HI,
I tried to convert CDA file to MP3 but when I checked the details in Properties, there's 0 size, why is this so? Is there any solution for this issue?
I thought VLC Media Player can convert CDA file to MP3 file.

Hope to receive your reply asap, thank you.

Cool Regards,
Pallas

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Ripping CD using VLC Media Player

Postby Pallas_L » 29 May 2021 11:31

Hi,
May I know why ripping CD using VLC Media Player can only be done 1 song after 1 song, I can't rip multiple songs at once, why is this so?

Hope to receive your reply soon, many thanks :)

Cool Regards,
Pallas

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC Media Player (Convert CDA to MP3)

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 May 2021 12:03

Some tutorials:
https://www.wikihow.com/Extract-Audio-C ... VLC-Player
https://www.vlchelp.com/convert-audio-format/

But on Windows for best results I suggest to use a dedicated CD ripper such as Exact Audio Copy, CUETools or the built-in ripper of foobar2000.

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 29 May 2021 17:01

Hi Lotesdelere,

Thanks so much for the helpful links. Actually, I had tried using iTunes to rip my CD but even with their error correction feature, 1 of the songs is not ripped fully whereas when I used VLC Media Player to rip my CD, all the songs could be ripped fully except that I had to rip them one track by one track, this way is more slower and tedious.

I will go through your helpful links, thanks again.

Have a delightful week ahead :)

Cool Regards,
Pallas

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 30 May 2021 20:21

except that I had to rip them one track by one track, this way is more slower and tedious.
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=130354

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 28 Jun 2021 06:19

Hi mederi,

May I know why did you give me this link with the scripts? Sorry, I don't know how to use the scripts.

Thanks n Regards,
Pallas

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 28 Jun 2021 15:00

There are some instructions how to use it, just read the forum posts:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 54#p497501 => https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 70#p493413
Select the code, copy, paste it in a text editor (Notepad), save as "vlc\lua\extensions\audiocdrippinghelper.lua", start VLC, activate the extension in VLC menu View > Audio CD ripping helper, ...

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 01 Jul 2021 12:56

Hi mederi,

I had copied all the codes script & pasted it in Notepad, saved it as "vlc-lua-extensions-audiocdrippinghelper.lua" . Then i cut & pasted vlc-lua-extensions-audiocdrippinghelper.lua into C:\Program Files (x86)\VLC\ folder as I cannot find C:\Program Files (x86)\VLC\lua\extensions folder.

Then I start VLC and go to View Menu but I can't find Audio CD ripping helper.

Did I do some steps wrongly? Pls let me know.

Pls advise, thank you.

Cool Regards,
Pallas

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 02 Jul 2021 12:59

Save the script as "audiocdrippinghelper.lua" (or "whatever.lua") file in VLC directory, where "vlc.exe" file is, in "\lua\extensions\" subfolder there ("VLSub.luac" file is already there) or you can put it in current user's folder "%APPDATA%\VLC\lua\extensions\" (C:\Users\_user_name_\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\extensions\ <<<manually create "\lua\extensions\" subfolders if they are not there yet).

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 05 Jul 2021 16:57

Hi mederi,
I finally found VLC directory with lots of files. But now my issue is when I saved the script, I could only save it as audiocdrippinghelper.txt as I'm using Notepad, how can I change it into .lua??? I tried to rename audiocdrippinghelper.txt as audiocdrippinghelper.lua but in the end it's still in .txt

Pls advise, thanks in advance.

Cool Regards,
Pallas

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 05 Jul 2021 17:37

Well, you can save a text file with different filename extension than just default .txt in Notepad:
File > Save as... > File name: [audiocdrippinghelper.lua], Save as type: [All Files (*.*)]

You should disable "[ ] Hide extensions for known file types" in Windows/File Explorer if you do not know how to rename filename extensions in Windows:
https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us ... in-Windows
https://sawtoothsoftware.com/resources/ ... s-explorer

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 08 Jul 2021 08:22

Hi mederi,

Thanks for your guidance, i had saved [audiocdrippinghelper.lua] as [All Files (*.*)] and put it into Videolan-->VLC-->lua-->extensions. Then I opened up VLC Media Player and go to View Tab and I saw the Audio CD Ripping Helper so I clicked on it and i saw Source MRL: cdda:///D:/ (D drive is my CD drive letter).

Then I typed the total number of tracks in this CD which is 14 and the output options I left it as Audio CD-->mp3. Then I changed ab to 160 & channels to 1. Then I clicked on View Tab on VLC Media Player and i saw all 14 tracks available. Then I clicked Enqueue converting tracks and finally I selected all 14 tracks and right-cilcked PLAY and it just went through all 14 tracks and start & end showed 5 & 10 secs, no converting, I wonder why?

Pls further advice, thank you so much.

Cool Regards,
Pallas

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 08 Jul 2021 13:33

I think that everything has already been described and discussed in related topics in the links I have provided here.
> If D:\ drive is you CD drive, then cdda:///D:/ is O.K.
> 14 tracks O.K.
> Default profile Audio CD-->mp3 O.K.
> If you prefer higher bitrate, then ab=160 is O.K.
> Why channels=1? CD audio is stereo, so 2 channels, so you should keep channels=2
> Then it is important to set a proper output path! You can manually create an output folder C:\CDrip. Then you should edit the Output options string to change dst="H:\Track ?.mp3" to dst="C:\CDrip\Track ?.mp3"
> Enqueue converting tracks button O.K.
> Then just press play button or double-click the first track in playlist. It is not necessary to select all tracks. Convert! START / END, the first and the last track, are just 5s/10s pauses. O.K.
Then you can rename files in output folder after successful conversion or you can use a modified script from idrinkwater user, which allows you to rename tracks before conversion.

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 09 Jul 2021 15:45

Hi mederi,

Thanks very much for your guidance, I followed all your instructions and the conversion was successful. Awesome, now I can rip CDs in a faster way.

But there's 1 thing I like to ask you:
I got the modified script from idrinkwater user so where do I save it, do I save it in VideoLan-->VLC-->lua-->extensions too?
Also, do I name it as Audio CD ripping helper NAMES.lua?
How should I use it? Sorry, I don't quite understand idrinkwater's message regarding FLAC. Pls let me know, thanks.

Waiting for your reply soon, thanks again.

Cool Regards,
Pallas

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 10 Jul 2021 13:20

Whatever filename, for example "audiocdrippinghelper-names.lua" in the same folder, so you can have both scripts installed. You can distinguish them according to a different title in VLC menu (Audio CD ripping helper NAMES). Idrinkwater prefers to convert to a FLAC format instead of MP3, so he added the FLAC profile as a default one there. Then you just select "Audio CD -> mp3" profile and press the "Apply profile" button to use mp3 format again.

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 10 Jul 2021 14:20

Hi mederi,

I had named it as audiocdrippinghelper-names.lua and put in into the extensions folder. But how come when I opened VLC Media Player and clicked on the View tab, I can't see any audiocdrippinghelper-names?

May I know idrinkwater's script is for naming the songs Track 1 - Track 14 and not giving the exact Song Names, am I right to say so?

Is it possible to get the exact song names in an instant for all 14 tracks?

Waiting for your reply soon, thank you.

Cool Regards,
Pallas

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 10 Jul 2021 16:33

You should see "Audio CD ripping helper NAMES" in VLC menu. It is the title from the script, not the filename. You can manually edit album name and particular track names to your exact song names. Then the file naming format is: "Album Name - 01 - Track Name.mp3" (or .flac, etc).

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 11 Jul 2021 08:14

Hi mederi,

Sorry I don't quite understand. I saved idrinkwater's script as Rename Songs Names.lua but I am unable to see it in VLC Media Player's View tab, did I miss anything?

Hope to receive your reply soon, thanks so much.

Cool Regards,
Pallas

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 11 Jul 2021 10:54

Just do the same what you did and worked for the original "audiocdrippinghelper.lua" script. Or make a renamed copy of the working script file & edit it, or just edit the working script and replace original contet of the file with modified script.

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 11 Jul 2021 15:05

Hi mederi,

I'm so excited as I figured out idrinkwater's script. At the end of his script, there's a word named TOP after end. So I deleted this word TOP and I saw Audio CD ripping helper NAMES in VLC's View tab and I am amazed at the format of his script, I love it.

Although I still have issue about the output mp3, I think I should ask idrinkwater directly, hope he will reply to my message.

Last but not least, I like to extend my thanks to you, thanks for your patience in guiding me :)

Also, thanks to idrinkwater for his script.

Cool Regards,
Pallas

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 13 Jul 2021 08:33

Hi mederi,

Can you pls guide me on making my output songs being named? Because idrinkwater hasn't replied my private message yet.

I keyed in the Album Name & 14 songs names manually but my output songs don't show the Album Name & songs names. Where in the script must I make changes?

Pls advise, thank you.

Cool Regards,
Pallas

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 13 Jul 2021 11:21

The script works. You are just doing something wrong. Check all input fields, check the output folder on your hard disk, set the right destination output path in the Output options string (dst="C:\CDrip\AUTOFILENAME.mp3"), edit names and then press "Enqueue converting tracks" button.

Pallas_L
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Pallas_L » 13 Jul 2021 15:13

Hi mederi,

Yes, I did something wrong as I can't understand the script.

This is where I was wrong, instead of (dst="C:\CDrip\AUTOFILENAME.mp3"), I put (dst="C:\CDrip\Track ?.mp3"), no wonder it didn't work but now it works perfectly, yuppie I got it (clapping hands)

Thanks very much for your guidance and advice, I appreciate your utmost help.

Have an amazing time & Take Care n Stay Safe :D

Cool Regards,
Pallas

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”