Black screens in fullscreen mode (not working) [Big Sur - Intel]

macOS specific usage questions
panosru
New Cone
New Cone

Black screens in fullscreen mode (not working) [Big Sur - Intel]

Postby panosru » 23 Jan 2021 15:05

Hello, I used to have this feature enabled in VLC because I have a setup with 6 displays and when I want to watch a movie I don't want to be distracted by the light of other monitors.

After upgrading to Big Sur, that feature no longer works, instead, what it does is when I put VLC in fullscreen the only monitor that goes to black is the main monitor, all other monitors are unaffected.

Thanks!

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Black screens in fullscreen mode (not working) [Big Sur - Intel]

Postby fkuehne » 23 Jan 2021 16:47

I'm afraid that we can't test on a 6 screen setup. If you do video playback on the main screen, is it blacked, too? is any other?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

panosru
New Cone
New Cone

Postby panosru » 24 Jan 2021 10:55

Hello!

Dump of me for not testing it by switching other monitors.

I just tested by switching off the monitors one by one, no matter how many monitors I have enabled I still get a black screen on my main monitor when putting VLC to full screen, having said that, I tested on a guest account and it works fine there...

Next what I did was to reset all my settings and start from scratch, then I enabled the "Black screens in Fullscreens mode" option, but I got the same result, I tried the same thing by removing VLC with AppCleaner and then installing it again, I had the same result...

It seems that for some reason something is interfering with VLC, but apart from SwitchResX daemon that I use, which I disabled for testing purposes, I don't have any other app that could "break" VLC :/

panosru
New Cone
New Cone

Postby panosru » 11 Feb 2021 21:01

I still can't figure out why VLC is making only my main display black when I put it in full screen. If I put the VLC in full screen in any other monitor, all the time it only makes the main monitor black. I tried to leave just two monitors and the behaviour is the same, only the main display is becoming black :(

When I switch to guest account it is working but I tried to disable any app that I can think of that might somehow interfere and still no luck...

Any idea would be great.

Thanks!

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 15 Feb 2021 08:15

Did you try to reset VLCs preferences (reset button in the settings windows)?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”