Screen capture

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MeteorMan
New Cone
New Cone

Screen capture

Postby MeteorMan » 31 Oct 2020 20:57

Greetings to everyone!

First of all I`d like to say VLC is a really great programme!)

These days I stumbled upon a neccesity to record what`s happening on my desktop (not games, just simple manipulations with other programmes), i.e. screen capture. I have a pretty old AMD- and Radeon-based laptop, and I had to test lots of software products which are aimed at the task mentioned, and practically none of them did the job because there exists a conflict between a built-in and a discrete graphic cards. But then I found out VLC has also this feature of screen capture, and, my goodness, it works!) Again I very much appreciate the work of all the VLC programmers, they work wonders!

Still there are two aspects that are of great importance for me. Firstly, the videos I record (some of them are more than 2 hours long) are not played correctly in the way that their length is not displayed properly. That is, for instance, I record a 60 minute long video, but the output video file shows it is only 20 minute long. When I play the video and it comes to the last minute, the video continues playing and shows what is supposed to be shown. So the first problem is that the duration of video is shown incorrectly, thus I have no possibility to rewind to the end of the video. Other media players demonstrate the same behavior. What can be done about it? Of course this is a minor problem, but still.

Secondly, and that is actually the worst thing, I haven`t found any options to record all the sounds that occur while the screen capture is on. I mean it is not about adding some background music (I noticed that option), but it is about recording the sounds other programms and Windows itself produce. I guess I can record the sounds of my audio card with some other programme and then combine the video and audio files together, but this is not the easiest way, is it? I searched for VLC plugins which could add such an option, but to no avail( Maybe there is a solution to this problem?

VLC 3.0.8 Vetenari, profile H.264+Mp3 (.mp4 output), Windows 10 Home 2004. Hopefully I`ve posted the topic in the right forum domain) Thanks for help in advance!

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Screen capture

Postby Hitchhiker » 02 Nov 2020 10:44

Download Mediainfo so that we have a clearer picture of what the problem might be.

If the data is too long upload it to Pastebin and then post the link to it here. You don't need to create an account to post on that site.

MeteorMan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MeteorMan » 02 Nov 2020 16:44

Hello!

I`ve never come across MediaInfo before, and I`m afraid I didn`t get the task correctly... I analyzed one of the videos with this software (clicking menu options almost chaotically, frankly speaking) and got a 13 Mb file with the results (Text mode), and Pastebin says it exceeds its limit. But then I chose a Tree mode and got this: https://ibb.co/MM5CMCG At least it shows that the video real duration and the duration shown by the player are different. I`m sorry I`ve failed the mission, but I`m able to follow some more specific instructions to obtain the information in question.

MeteorMan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MeteorMan » 21 Nov 2020 00:39

Secondly, and that is actually the worst thing, I haven`t found any options to record all the sounds that occur while the screen capture is on. I mean it is not about adding some background music (I noticed that option), but it is about recording the sounds other programms and Windows itself produce. I guess I can record the sounds of my audio card with some other programme and then combine the video and audio files together, but this is not the easiest way, is it? I searched for VLC plugins which could add such an option, but to no avail(
So there is no solution to this? No possibility to capture the screen and also to record the sound? That`s actually odd, as these options go together quite naturally, but they can be executed only separately... Maybe there is at least a feature to launch two copies of VLC to do the job simultaneously?)

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 21 Nov 2020 19:11

Try using a nightly: https://nightlies.videolan.org/

AryanK
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AryanK » 13 Jan 2021 14:10

Try using a nightly: https://nightlies.videolan.org/
These Nightly Suck. these are soo bad.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
These seem futuristic but they doesn't work at all.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”