"Add to Player" missing from context menu

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: "Add to Player" missing from context menu

Postby Hitchhiker » 25 Oct 2020 08:16

Have you ever used a 'registry cleaner'? (a misnomer if ever there was one). If you did it may have created a registry backup which you can use to restore the registry to a time prior to making changes which caused the the context menu to go pear-shaped (yes, same as US idiom "go south").

Even if you didn't you could try running Windows System Restore which can be used to wind back the clock as well. The only difference between the two is that any programs which were installed after vlc disappeared from the context menu will have to be reinstalled since the restore operation will delete them.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 25 Oct 2020 16:40

Have you ever used a 'registry cleaner'? (a misnomer if ever there was one). If you did it may have created a registry backup which you can use to restore the registry to a time prior to making changes which caused the the context menu to go pear-shaped (yes, same as US idiom "go south").

Even if you didn't you could try running Windows System Restore which can be used to wind back the clock as well. The only difference between the two is that any programs which were installed after vlc disappeared from the context menu will have to be reinstalled since the restore operation will delete them.
Over the years, have used several, but of late only use the one bundled w/ Ccleaner. Moot point, though, as i rarely backup before the clean. This HAS caused me to think though, perhaps if I uninstalled VLC, and then manually removed every reference to it from the registry, I could successfully reinstall it, and all would then be right w/ the context menu again. Although, as i type, that solution probably would not suffice, as the program itself technically never uninstalled the last time I did so (scroll back, if you are new to this thread), which was utterly weird...

Are there any threads on here about uninstalling VLC, I wonder? :idea:

No luck w/ System Restore. Maybe I should start using that again. :-|

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 25 Oct 2020 19:47

Well, to deal with registry cleaners to begin with all they do is to remove dead links that don't do anything anymore. They do not improve performance and the most you'll gain in space is about 80 bytes so hardly worth the effort despite all the claims they make. Also, there's always the possibility that a given registry value gets incorrectly identified and deleted along with the dead links which leads to situations such as you find yourself in right now.

Microsoft has a tool you can use to remove vlc from the system which is probably the best course of action now. You don't need the product code mentioned on the site since vlc is listed in the registry at this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Reboot after removing vlc.

When you run the installer again use the Custom installation option so that you can checkmark all the file types you want the program to open. It's time-consuming since there are so many of them, but better to get it right than to have to go through all this again at a later date. ;)

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 25 Oct 2020 20:57

Microsoft has a tool you can use to remove vlc from the system which is probably the best course of action now. You don't need the product code mentioned on the site since vlc is listed in the registry at this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
When I got to the list of programs in the troubleshooter, VLC was not listed?

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 25 Oct 2020 21:32

When I got to the list of programs in the troubleshooter, VLC was not listed?
ALSO... VLC is not listed in the place you specified in the registry.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 26 Oct 2020 00:32

SOLVED!! I went to these two registry keys and reset the Progid (w/ permissions enabled to allow edit):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3\UserChoice
Set: Progid = "VLC.mp3"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp4\UserChoice
Set: Progid = "VLC.mp4"

I didn't even have to restart the computer! Thanks for persevering through all of this.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 26 Oct 2020 10:49

Was there a hash present at both those locations?

Usually though both those registry values can be accomplished using the "Default Programs" ---> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" menu in Windows Control Panel. I suggested that earlier I believe.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear your workaround solved the problem for you.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 27 Oct 2020 15:02

Was there a hash present at both those locations?

Usually though both those registry values can be accomplished using the "Default Programs" ---> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" menu in Windows Control Panel. I suggested that earlier I believe.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear your workaround solved the problem for you.
No, there wasn't a hash there; before the edit, it read "mp3_auto_?" (the ? being something i can't recall).

I would've thought so. I had tried it before bothering to post, I think, and recall you suggesting it, as well.

It is odd, but then, I guess Windows often works in mysterious ways! :mrgreen:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”