2 soundcards, how to select which one VLC uses?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
vlc user

2 soundcards, how to select which one VLC uses?

Postby vlc user » 24 Jan 2006 17:24

Hi!

I have 2 soundcards installed and the one I want to use is my secondary soundcard.

Is there any way to change which one VLC uses?

Soundcards:
DMX 6fire for games etc. (connected to smaller speakers, usually used with headphones)
RME Hammerfall DSP for music & movies (It's connected to my hifisystem)

Thanks!

erbsen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby erbsen » 24 Jan 2006 17:40

Maybe this is helpful.

viewtopic.php?t=13161

erbsen
Spying? Torture? Illegal airstrikes? Dyncorp, Halliburton - **Stay polite ** Slaves? SHUT UP and hate Bin Laden.

vlc user

Postby vlc user » 24 Jan 2006 19:24

Thanks!

The output stuttering a couple of minutes in the beginning (of all audio files).

But better than no sound, so thank you!

Here is something that could be improved for sure, other players are supporting this much better. They suck at some other things though!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 24 Jan 2006 19:33

Thanks!

The output stuttering a couple of minutes in the beginning (of all audio files).

But better than no sound, so thank you!

Here is something that could be improved for sure, other players are supporting this much better. They suck at some other things though!
You could try the DirectX float32 option in Preferences. Some users have found this helps, but it really depends on the sound card.

vlc user

Postby vlc user » 24 Jan 2006 21:07

No difference with float 32.

It's a shame because the RME Hammerfall Multiface DSP is a high end card.

Maybe the very active RME team can do something with the drivers to fix this. They usually can help one out when problems occur.

Thanks anyway.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 24 Jan 2006 21:49

No difference with float 32.

It's a shame because the RME Hammerfall Multiface DSP is a high end card.

Maybe the very active RME team can do something with the drivers to fix this. They usually can help one out when problems occur.

Thanks anyway.
A few years ago I owned one of these cards. Used it as recording / editing system connected through fiber optic cable to my Digital recorder. Always had problem getting Windows to use the card for other than its intended purpose. I could get it to work with some things and not others, so ended up using it for what it was intended to do and the internal sound card for everything else. Changed drivers read notes changed settings etc. Wonderful sounding card, pain to setup and get working.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”