Subtitles

Feature requests for VLC.
sotiredofballing
New Cone
New Cone

Subtitles

Postby sotiredofballing » 02 Oct 2005 19:57

Living in Korea I watch a ton of foreign DVDs, so VideoLAN has been awesome for me. I would like to see a couple of subtitle features implemented:

1. Ripping subtitles to a text file. I don't how easy/difficult this would be, but it would be awesome if I could watch a Korean movie, then rip both the English and Korean subtitles for studying later.

2. Displaying two subtitles simultaneously. So I could have the English at the bottom and the Korean at the top.

3. Having the subtitles included in snapshots.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 03 Oct 2005 15:57

1: VLC isn't really targeted at these kinds of things. Mplayer/mencoder can do this pretty well I suggest you use that.
2: This is mostly an interface issue. If you have a DVD that allows you to select two subtracks for instance, then it's already possible trough the DVD-menu. However, it's difficult to do from the current interface. This won't change any time soon.
3: This is possible, but things like the OSD will then also be in the snapshot possibly. Perhaps we will add this as an option. I'll add it to the very long TODO list. https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/378
Don't use PMs for support questions.

sotiredofballing
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sotiredofballing » 09 Oct 2005 21:59

Thanks.

letezo
New Cone
New Cone

Subtitle readability

Postby letezo » 14 Oct 2005 21:31

I use Debian Sarge with VideoLAN's apt source.

There are some kind of "shadow" or "border" around subtitles in VideoLAN. I did not manage to find any setting to disable or change this "shadow" that renders the subtitles hard to read.

I suggest to place some new configuration options for subtitles:

Subtitle shadows
delta x: +2
delta y: +2
font size increment: 0
shadow opacity: 80%
shadow color: black

letezo
New Cone
New Cone

Enable subtitles by default

Postby letezo » 14 Oct 2005 21:35

I suggest a new configuration option to enable subtitle Track 1 by default if at least one subtitle found. This can help a lot for non-native english speakers watching lots of video files with subtitles.

Thanks, Letezo

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 16 Oct 2005 20:54

the options subtitle track and subtitle language already allow you to do this.

Preferences -> Input/Codecs -> Advanced
already allow you to do this.

(the subtitle-track option is "super-advanced" and requires you to set the "advanced" toggle box.)

zann

Postby zann » 11 Nov 2005 17:32

even when i click on the advance box under input/codecs, nothing appears in the box, its blank..

does anyone know how to disable the dubbed voice in the vcd? and change the language on the subtitles? as mentioned above, nothing appears in my input/codecs option even after selecting advance.. tks!

zann

(the subtitle-track option is "super-advanced" and requires you to set the "advanced" toggle box.)

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2005 18:16

You can change VCD audio from Audio -> Audio Track if I recall correctly.

letezo: There is no shadows support in VLC subtitles, you are propably seeing bug.

nabab

Moving subtitles

Postby nabab » 15 Nov 2005 23:33

There was a feature I loved with BSPlayer which was being able to move up or down the subtitles with a keyboard shortcut (it was SHIFT + Arrows I think).
I'd like to have the subtitles in the black bottom, not on the movie image. I found a "Force subtitles position" in the preferences, but I haven't been actually able to move the subtitles. And whatever is the unit, it's difficult to know what is the right value without seeing it live.
Maybe I've been wrong in my way of doing it, or I haven't seen something obvious. In that case, please help me ! If not, I think that'd be a great feature. Is it easy to do ??

Thanks

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Moving subtitles

Postby joseph5 » 16 Nov 2005 00:19

I'd like to have the subtitles in the black bottom, not on the movie image.
That's not possible.

Postby Guest » 28 Nov 2005 13:34

how is that not posible? other players can do it...

subs

Postby subs » 28 Nov 2005 18:40

That feature saves my life, I was getting really fed up with interrupting the watching of a movie coming in two files so as to select the subtitle track for the second file. I'm sure we were not the only ones with the problem, a not so advanced option (in the subtitles options dialog) that would says "auto-select first subtitle track" would probably be welcome.
There was a feature I loved with BSPlayer which was being able to move up or down the subtitles with a keyboard shortcut (it was SHIFT + Arrows I think).
To me the subtitle handling interface is the only weakpoint of VLC. Here are a list of features that would be great IMHO :
- Drag 'n drop subtitle file on a running film for VLC to select and play that subtitle track
- Increase / decrease size of subtitle from controler
- The abovementioned feature would be great as well if feasible
- There is a fearure that is proposed by no software which should be nice. That would be to choose the default subtitle not by number but by name, for instance I always have the language of the subtitle between brackets at the end of the name of the file. Something regular expression like could handle it easily :
e.g. let's take the movie "the big lebowski" in the file "the big lebowski.avi"
to me the number of the sub track is irrelevant but I know that "the big lebowski [FR].srt" will be the one I want to use.
So being able to state that I want the subtitle track called "%n [FR]" (%n being the name of the movie file played, without its extension) would be more interesting to me than saying I want track numer X selected by default.
I imagine not everyone would find any of these features interesting, still some of them would make VLC a lot more user friendly.

dhaa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dhaa » 07 Dec 2005 10:44

e.g. let's take the movie "the big lebowski" in the file "the big lebowski.avi"
to me the number of the sub track is irrelevant but I know that "the big lebowski [FR].srt" will be the one I want to use.
So being able to state that I want the subtitle track called "%n [FR]" (%n being the name of the movie file played, without its extension) would be more interesting to me than saying I want track numer X selected by default.
I imagine not everyone would find any of these features interesting, still some of them would make VLC a lot more user friendly.
yes, this is a really nice idea i would appreciate as well. so far i have solved this by saving an m3u playlist with all the subtitles set for all parts (cd's) of the movie. but this works for the second time you watch the movie which doesn't happen so often.

regarding the possibility of advanced selection of subtitles, i would like to have an option of setting the preference of subtitle language in the same way as subs proposed.
i am czech but if i watch a movie in english i prefer watching it with english subtitles, but sometimes it's hard to find them (usually you can find subtitles for any language exept the original one). I also study spanish, so the next option could be spanish and only if neither english nor spanish subtitles were found i would use the czech ones. so the option of selecting the preferred subs could look like this:
Subtitle preferrence:
1st subtitle file "%n [EN]"
2nd subtitle file "%n [SP]"
3rd subtitle file "%n [CZ]"
Last edited by dhaa on 07 Dec 2005 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

dhaa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dhaa » 07 Dec 2005 10:46

That's not possible.
yes, why is this impossible?

joseph5

Postby joseph5 » 07 Dec 2005 23:12

Search the forum.

omg wtf?

Postby omg wtf? » 09 Dec 2005 19:21

uMM I've been doing that for a while.... If you give me some time I can tell you how i did it I am at work

Postby Guest » 23 Jan 2006 13:32

That's not possible.
When I wrote the SVCD and CVD code, there were options for adjusting the X and Y offsets, and I too preferred having the subtitles not obstructing the movie image. Later someone else revised the code and for whatever reasons I believe decided that this should be handled by a setting that was more global. That is, this option had an effect all subtitles not just CVD or SVCD. I'm not sure what the option is called or if it still is around, but I guess it would be the same thing used for adjusting DVD subtitles.

At any rate putting in such an option really isn't all that hard - I mean all we're talking about is retrieving a couple of configuration variables and adding a couple of numbers.

Tom_Mac OS X

Subtitles

Postby Tom_Mac OS X » 23 Jan 2006 22:57

Ok... no way on VLC to get a decent subtitles. All subtitles are chompy and very hard to read. Any way to change the configuration at Text render in preferences or other way to configure greater subtitles doesn't works.javascript:emoticon(':(')
Using Mac OS X.
Can you help me?
Thanks

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 23 Jan 2006 23:01

Actually the font renderer has just been upgraded a bit in the development version of VLC. (this works for text subs only, not for picture subs).

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”