upnp support in osx builds

macOS specific usage questions
cannonwg

upnp support in osx builds

Postby cannonwg » 19 Jan 2006 13:27

I've seen a couple posts that upnp support is in the nightly osx builds but I've yet to find it.

Is anyone using upnp on osx, its astonds me that there is not one upnp client application available. I often use my powerbook to watch programs on my media server.

I ussually use a web based client or more recently meedio looking at my share drives.

But it would be great to have either a upnp client application or a media renderer that will work with cidero.

Is there at least a cvs code base that will compile on a mac g5.

joedornan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby joedornan » 20 Jan 2006 05:14

I hear you brother.

I can't believe how lacking the mac platform is in terms of upnp.

My mac mini is just sitting there on top of the TV WAITING to be used to stream music from my HTPC.

Not happening. So many people would use VLC's UpNP functionality if it were active.

Postby Guest » 20 Jan 2006 12:35

I hear you brother.

I can't believe how lacking the mac platform is in terms of upnp.

My mac mini is just sitting there on top of the TV WAITING to be used to stream music from my HTPC.

Not happening. So many people would use VLC's UpNP functionality if it were active.
I guess its not a priority with the vlc developers, I'm also a bit dismayed at the lack of response to my simple question regarding upnp in the nightly builds. as soon as I have a chance I'm going to pull the source and see what Is and is not there.

I know that a japanese site cybergarage has a module for vlc but the documentation is hard to follow and I've not been able to get that to compile.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 20 Jan 2006 14:41

So many people would use VLC's UpNP functionality if it were active
Guess not, because then one of them would have fixed it by now. Developers are busy, do this for free, and you cannot expect them to do anything for you. They do things because they need them.

It's Free, it's Open Source
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc
Don't use PMs for support questions.

cannonwg

Postby cannonwg » 20 Jan 2006 15:26

So many people would use VLC's UpNP functionality if it were active
Guess not, because then one of them would have fixed it by now. Developers are busy, do this for free, and you cannot expect them to do anything for you. They do things because they need them.

It's Free, it's Open Source
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc
I disagree, I think there are a significant number of users who would use it, with media servers for instance.

I guess they are just not a vocal group, upnp is pretty well supported on the windows platform so the user base would be mac and linux users which is a smaller group to begin with.

Being open source, with a lot of coloboration vlc is not the easiest package to add features , especially using the cyberlink patches , But getting something anything with upnp support on osx is a high priority for me, and I AM a pretty decent developer, although I have never compiled vlc before.

I have 4 media servers running on my network, all are upnp complient but my macs are the only clients I have to resort to using a web interface for.

Postby Guest » 20 Jan 2006 17:43

Ok I'm going to give it a try.

I assume I need:

The cyberlink c++ cvs tree
the icon lib fix (not sure what this is)
libexpat (needed for osx??)

--enable-cyberlik with-cyberlink-tree=../cybergarage/upnp/mediaserver

cannonwg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cannonwg » 20 Jan 2006 18:22

I'm not crazy about this cyberlink code, I wonder if it would be better maybe to create a version of cidero which would pass the upnp link to videolan. This would be similar to what nero showtime does.
To play local content it would not have to be a true dlna renderer.

Just some thoughts. Any one have any comments.

chenz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chenz » 25 Jan 2006 15:44

Ok I'm going to give it a try.

I assume I need:

The cyberlink c++ cvs tree
the icon lib fix (not sure what this is)
libexpat (needed for osx??)

--enable-cyberlik with-cyberlink-tree=../cybergarage/upnp/mediaserver
AFAIK I am currently the only one hacking on the UPnP plugin, so here it goes (I'm using Debian, so your mileage may vary...).
You need a recent SVN snapshot of VLC to make it work. I am using CyberLink 1.7.1 with a tiny patch (see http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=591336)

Configure CyberLink with "--enable-expat" and VLC with "--enable-cyberlink --with-cyberlink-tree="/foo/bar/CyberLink". CyberLink will be linked statically into the plugin.

There are still a bunch of issues, but the plugin should be usable as long as the content directories are static! (i.e. if you add new file on a media server, it won't show up in VLC until you restart the UPnP plugin)

I have some more patches, but I think I ran into a bug in CyberLink and I'm waiting for that to clear.

I have also begun to write a new UPnP plugin using Intel's SDK, which is more lightweight than CyberLink (currently the plugin is > 5MB!)

TheMan2

Postby TheMan2 » 30 Jan 2006 16:05

I have also begun to write a new UPnP plugin using Intel's SDK, which is more lightweight than CyberLink (currently the plugin is > 5MB!)
Great news! VideoLAN can't live without UPnP... When will do UPnP MediaRender and MediaControl?

chenz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chenz » 01 Feb 2006 15:10

Great news! VideoLAN can't live without UPnP... When will do UPnP MediaRender and MediaControl?
Speaking for myself: Probably not anytime soon :-(

Also I think these functions would belong in a different context than the Playlist. I curently don't know enough about VLC internals to say where they could/should be implemented.

cannonwg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cannonwg » 02 Feb 2006 12:45

Well, I guess I'm the only one hacking around with this stuff, and talking just to myself apparently. does no one see the need for upnp on the mac. oh.. well.

The second compile went as the first, I think the plugin just doesn't work, I attempted to go with the wxwindows version but that wouldn't compile.

The latest version of wxwidgets is 2.62 , I pulled that and will apply the original cybergarage patches manually.

I'm also starting to spec out my own design for a mac upnp client, that will call vlc or mplayer indirectly.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 02 Feb 2006 13:36

wxwidgets for mac doens't work icw VLC.
You might be interested in this:
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/14134

cannonwg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cannonwg » 02 Feb 2006 13:57

wxwidgets for mac doens't work icw VLC.
You might be interested in this:
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/14134
Thanks I will check it out,

Do you know if there is anybody (other than yourself obiviously) actively working on upnp extensions for vlc on the powerpc mac (and eventually intel macs)

Have you or anyone gotten the intel sdk to work work with the mac, that seems like it might be a better stack than cyberlink.

Postby Guest » 03 Feb 2006 20:37

I wish I knew enough to help this project of getting UPnP working with VLC. This is something we very desperately need for the mac users we have using VLC as the media client. I just don't have the development experience. I looked over the docs and some of the code, and am stumped. I greatly look forward to the work you come up with. It is sad that there does not seem to be any Mac based implementation of UPnP that I can find. Does this not seem like something Apple should really be focusing on?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 03 Feb 2006 21:55

UPnP is a MS backed standard. Bonjour could be considered the Apple variant of a similar technology. So Apple isn't actively supporting UPnP.[/u]

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”