Streaming MPEG2 from Hauppauge PVR150 using VLC for Windows?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
hkn

Streaming MPEG2 from Hauppauge PVR150 using VLC for Windows?

Postby hkn » 02 Jun 2005 12:37

It is unclear to me if it is actually possible to stream live audio/video in compressed format (MPEG2) from a Hauppauge PVR-150 encoder card using VLC for Windows.
More specifically, I want to stream the compressed data served by the Hauppauge onboard encoder instead of having VLC transcode the raw audio/video data.

The DirectShow frontend in VLC will only recognise the capture filters audio and video output pins (the "Audio Out" and "Capture" pins on the "Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture" filter).
To get access to the MPEG2 PS stream directly from the hardware encoder it is necessary to connect to the "MPEG" output pin on the "Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Encoder" filter. The encoder filter itself must be connected to the capture filters "656" output pin.

My question is: Is it possible to instruct VLC to include the "Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Encoder" filter in its graph and to directly stream the output from the "MPEG" pin?

Thanks

e6964822
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Help

Postby e6964822 » 19 Jan 2006 10:29

Hi,

I have the same problem and the same. Please help me. :shock:

You know if Hauppauge PVR250 or PVR 350 realy work well when capture mpg2 and transmit to LAN using vclLAN.

Thank ypu very much.

megrim

Stream mpeg2 with Hauppauge PVR under Windows XP

Postby megrim » 23 Apr 2006 21:49

Hello,

Yes, it is pretty straight-forward to stream mpeg2 from your Hauppauge PVR card to your LAN. I recommend to use vlc version 0.8.2 for this purpose.

Enter the following command line on the server side:
C:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc -vvv dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture" :dshow-adev="none" :dshow-size="" :sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=192.168.2.100:1234}}

All of this text must be written into one command line; "192.168.2.100" must be replaced with the IP address where you intend to receive the stream. If your have stored vlc elsewhere than "C:\Programme\..." you also have replace that path in the above command line.

On the client side start vlc; from the "File" menu select "Open network stream"; leave the default settings and simply click "OK". A window should come up displaying whichever channel you have set on your Hauppauge card.

Kind Regads,
Megrim

P.S. If you want to use this feature frequently save the above command line as ASCII file with ".bat" as name extension so that it turns into a Windows batch file, which you can conveniently invoke directly.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”