What exactly does "Auto raising the interface" do?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dgrrr
New Cone
New Cone

What exactly does "Auto raising the interface" do?

Postby dgrrr » 20 Oct 2019 21:19

Can someone confirm that "Auto raising the interface" does?

I assumed it meant that, when VLC is in the background, and it reaches the end of a media file and goes on to the next one, the OS focus will go to VLC (and bring it forward).

But it's not doing that for me. (The system tray icon is flashing, but that's all.)

I thought I should ask, as maybe "interface" refers to controls?

unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: What exactly does "Auto raising the interface" do?

Postby unidan » 20 Oct 2019 22:42

Hi,

This is exactly what you assumed
--qt-auto-raise {0 (Never), 1 (Video), 2 (Audio), 3 (Audio/Video)}
When to raise the interface
This option allows the interface to be raised automatically when a
video/audio playback starts, or never.
The exact behaviour as of future 4.0 (and probably 3.0 too) is called when input change and is:
+ if there is no new input, do nothing
+ if we chose to never raise, do nothing
+ if we have video and we didn't choose to raise when there is video, do nothing
+ if we haven't chosen to raise on new audio input, do nothing
+ in any other case, ask to raise window

If the window is raised, it will call this function in particular: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qwidget.html#activateWindow

Then, the exact behaviour depends on the platform and on Windows, the behaviour is what you describe:
On Windows, if you are calling this when the application is not currently the active one then it will not make it the active window. It will change the color of the taskbar entry to indicate that the window has changed in some way. This is because Microsoft does not allow an application to interrupt what the user is currently doing in another application.
The behaviour you're looking for might be implemented through [1] but is a Windows-only code that must be maintain and is not an idiomatic behaviour, so I don't think it's a really good addition to the code base.

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qwindowswindowfunctions.html#WindowActivationBehavior-enum

MacGWik
New Cone
New Cone

Re: What exactly does "Auto raising the interface" do?

Postby MacGWik » 28 May 2020 02:16

So the "Auto Raising The Interface" setting on VLC windows didn't do anything right now ?

I have tried to use it on "Video/Audio" mode, but it stays on the background when I open another video from windows explorer

It is kinda anoyying to missing these feature (because I felt I had these feature on older VLC if I'm remember it correctly)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”