VLC Crashes on a New Win10 Install.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
abrogard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC Crashes on a New Win10 Install.

Postby abrogard » 29 Sep 2019 13:27

I just put up a completely new win10 install on a new disk.

VLC would keep crashing without error messages - just closed down, disappeared.

I googled and reset preferences. Didn't help.

I googled and uninstalled and then installed the latest version.

It ran file longer than it had previously and then froze the video. The audio continued to run.

Obviously something going on. MPC works fine.

How can I trouble shoot this, any ideas?

:)

Thecom
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Crashes on a New Win10 Install.

Postby Thecom » 30 Sep 2019 22:30

Same thing is happening to me. Are you running a ryzen 3000 series processor by any chance?

abrogard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby abrogard » 01 Oct 2019 11:48

Sorry I didn't see your reply. No I don't think so. I've got an Asus board, an H170 with an Intel i3 at 3.7G.

Looks like just you and me.. ?

Thecom
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thecom » 01 Oct 2019 13:38

Maybe so, it could be unrelated, I guess I thought it would be a hardware issue but maybe something about Windows is doing it. I'm on a gigabyte x570 board with windows 10 pro 64 bit. Maybe our graphics cards? I got a 2060 super from nvidia. Any software programs installed that are common between us? I got XYplorer and nvidia's control software outside of the default windows apps. Chrome as well I guess.

Thecom
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thecom » 01 Oct 2019 13:40

Oh hey are you using a PCE gen 4 drive by any chance?

abrogard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby abrogard » 01 Oct 2019 23:50

I don't think hardware because VLC ran without problems for years on this board. I've always had troubles with win10 on this board, this machine, and I've done three complete new installs on new hard drives because of that over the last two years.

But through them all, right up to now, VLC has run okay.

I'm going to install an old version of VLC if I can find one and see if that helps.

The other thing would be Win10 upgrades but if it were that there'd be thousands of people getting it wouldn't there?

Our own software is a possible I guess. It'd just about have to be software that's running at the time I suppose, rather than any of the total installed software?

Usually I have heaps of installed stuff. But not this time because I've just put up this new install of win10, as I'm saying. I"ve got very little as yet.

And then again - how about the past ? I've always run this suite of software, always, got nothing new right now that I'm aware of.

There should be a VLC error log file somewhere shouldn't there?

Edit later:

Well I just tried installing version 3.0.5 64bit from the .msi and I got a failed install on errr 2753 which they say may indicate a bad install package. I'm using files from https://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/3.0.5/win64/

Another edit: I tried 2.2.4 and 2.2.2 and they seemed perhaps to run alright but the video brightness control wouldn't work and I need it on this old monitor I've got so they're no good.

I suspect this version of win10 has broken things. I'm going to use MPC. Until someone comes up with an answer for me.

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Latest
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby Sam Hobbs » 03 Oct 2019 21:16

I might have the same problem but my symptoms are not the same exactly. For one thing, this Windows 10 installation is not new.

Yesterday VLC downloaded and installed version 3.0.8. As far as I know everything worked before the upgrade but I cannot be sure. Now however VLC crashes in the manner described, but only when I go to the Media menu and select either Open Network Stream or Stream. I am able to play a video from my local system.

If this is not the same problem then I assume I should create a new thread. If so then let me know I need to do that. Otherwise, I seldom use the streaming features so I hope I can ignore the problem and it will go away. If anyone needs additional information then let me know that.

Also, I do not know if this is specific to Windows.

Thecom
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thecom » 04 Oct 2019 00:52

Ooh, thanks for the temporary fix, I'll try it on my system when I get home.

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Sam Hobbs » 04 Oct 2019 02:36

I apologize if I gave the impression that I have any fix, perhaps temporary. I have no fix.

Thecom
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thecom » 04 Oct 2019 19:23

I misread, although maybe some setting was trying to always open videos through streaming. Probably not, but worth a shot.

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Sam Hobbs » 04 Oct 2019 19:55

The crashdump directory at C:\Users\Sam\AppData\Roaming\vlc is empty.

I went to "Custom Views" | "Administrative Events" in the Event Viewer and found the following.

Faulting application name: vlc.exe, version: 3.0.8.0, time stamp: 0xa6b0a6a0
Faulting module name: libqt_plugin.dll, version: 3.0.8.0, time stamp: 0xa228a220
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x00000000008c3fdf
Faulting process id: 0x3f54
Faulting application start time: 0x01d57ad97d76a3c2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins\gui\libqt_plugin.dll
Report Id: a6e21ba4-f612-4855-a9d1-9ba7855b099e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I do not see libqt as a plugin so I do not know how to remove it. If anyone can suggest where to go from here then I will try to diagnose further.

Everyone else with this problem can look in the Event Viewer to see if there is something there.

Thecom
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thecom » 05 Oct 2019 21:05

Alright finally fixed mine. After giving up and installing MPC-HC I got a helpful error message from their program that led me to tracking down my problem. It was a missing audio driver for my Audio Interface. I just forgot to get the drivers for it on my new installation of windows. In all my troubleshooting I never tried simply disabling audio, silly me. I got the drivers and everything works great. Good luck on your errors guys.

abrogard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby abrogard » 05 Oct 2019 22:50

Mine seems to be fixed, too. But I didn't fix it. It fixed itself. I'd guess it was a MS update that did it.

Certainly seems to be fixed. Runs any video I give it. I resize, I move it around the screen, I pause, restart, change video brightness etc., all the things that (perhaps) used to cause the lockups before. No trouble now.

I'm using 2.2.2 but that wasn't the fix. When I first installed it I'd get lockups and lack of sound and all kinds of screw ups just the same as I did when I was using the latest version.

So I don't know. I'd put my money on MS. It looks to me like no two of us have the same Win10 installation. I know I've got four machines here all with win10 and all of which have their own peculiarities and installing and running an app on one machine can lead to different behaviour to that which you get when it's on another machine.

So my advice for what it is worth, if anything, would be to check your MS updates is all I can think of.

You know what - you know how when you get a crash there's a message about it is sending a report to MS? I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get individual 'fixes' back to our individual machines because of those reports.

Or is that simply too far out... ?

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Sam Hobbs » 05 Oct 2019 23:00

Well let us blame poor programming. VLC is open-source and such and there seem to be some VLC programmers that do not catch and report errors adequately. I am a programmer too and when I go to forums for the purpose of helping others, when a developer asks about their program crashing unexpectedly, I respond by saying they should catch every error. There is at least one VLC programmer that is not doing that.

Abrogard and I created our replies in parallel but mine got in second so I can respond to that reply. Even if it is Microsoft, it is quite likely that an error or some errors are not be caught by VLC. And as far as I know, no one else has checked their system events.

abrogard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby abrogard » 05 Oct 2019 23:07

I looked at mine, Sam, but didn't see anything of any help. :)

Jimmypants
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: latest
Operating System: Win7 Pro

Postby Jimmypants » 08 Oct 2019 03:32

I am having a similar problem as Sam Hobbs: Upon clicking Media >> Stream (or Ctrl+S), VLC crashes with following error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Win7Pro, updated
VLC 3.0.8

abrogard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby abrogard » 08 Oct 2019 09:58

Hello Jimmy...

you want a definite technical answer? I don't have one. Sorry. I'm not a techie/programmer/guru. :(

You just want to get back to work (pleasure?).

Well I'd suggest going back through the VLC versions until you find one that works well.

I've never seen much difference in what they do. What they deliver. I get new versions kinda by default - I get system crashes and have to install again ( just did that this week ) but I never feel the need of one. The oldest VLC was good enough for me.

The newest has, for instance, brought me here this time. ( It, or MS, who knows.. )

So if I were still running a win7 box I'd be doing that.

and if that didn't work I'd take a hard look at the vis c install I've got.

good luck.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”